Wiping Clean a MacBook Pro with 10.5.8... SuperDrive not working!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patches, Jun 21, 2013.

1. patches macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I purchased a new mac recently and I am trying to sell my old Macbook Pro (about 5 years old). I read through the forum and from what I understand in order to wipe it clean I need to use the original Leopard boot disk to put it back to factory condition. Well I can't use the superdrive because it does not work anymore :(

I figured I could sell it or give it to a friend who needs a computer. I don't want all of my old personal information I.E... Bank Account info, Passwords and other personal stuff to get into the wrong hands. Can anyone help me out to avoid this problem? I appreciate any of your input.

Here is what its running:
    10.5.8 Leopard
    Processor 2.4 GHz (1)
    Memory 4 GB

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have an external USB optical disk drive (ODD), you could use that with your old Mac, or if both Macs have Firewire*, you can use Target Disk Mode (put the new Mac in TDM and use its ODD (if it has one) for the DVD).

[​IMG]

If none of the above can help, maybe this can:

3. patches thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, the 19 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Online Store will work just fine for a CLEAN INSTALL:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

5. patches thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much!!! You are an absolutely wonderful person!