Wiping data but keeping jailbreak / Cydia?

adamsad1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I'm a little unclear--if I run settings-->general-->reset-->erase all content and settings, will I have to re-jailbreak my iPhone? If so, is there a way to delete my data without loosing my jailbreak?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
That should be fine, I believe it will stay jailbroken and just wipe your settings.

Comment

kmiranda

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
If you do a restore, you'll lose your jailbreak. Otherwise, you should be fine. good luck...

Comment

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
No, no, no. Erase all Content and Settings will erase everything from your phone's NOR Flash memory, including your OS. For a 2G or 3G phone it will overwrite the entire memory with 0's, a process which can take a very long time; for a 3GS it will delete your phone's encryption key. In either case, your phone will stick at the boot logo and will have to be restored and you will lose your jailbreak.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, no, no. Erase all Content and Settings will erase everything from your phone's NOR Flash memory, including your OS. For a 2G or 3G phone it will overwrite the entire memory with 0's, a process which can take a very long time; for a 3GS it will delete your phone's encryption key. In either case, your phone will stick at the boot logo and will have to be restored and you will lose your jailbreak.
Correct. You will have to eventually restore it thus getting rid of your jailbreak in the process.

Comment