Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Can someone provide me some brief instructions as to what is the best way to wipe my iMac? It's running the latest version of Mountain Lion but I will soon be selling up so want to clear everything off before hand!

I will be completing a time machine back up before hand ready to restore onto my new machine

Thanks!

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Can someone provide me some brief instructions as to what is the best way to wipe my iMac? It's running the latest version of Mountain Lion but I will soon be selling up so want to clear everything off before hand!

I will be completing a time machine back up before hand ready to restore onto my new machine

Thanks!

Boot into Internet Recovery Mode as normal (Command+R at boot) but before you begin the installation process, open Disk Utility and format your hard disk. Then install as usual.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Ideally I don't want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, can't I just wipe everything an easy way and leave all default applications there?:confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ideally I don't want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, can't I just wipe everything an easy way and leave all default applications there?:confused:

You can create a new user account then from that account delete your old user account. Then while in the newly created account use Disk Utility to secure erase free space. This will wipe any data that was in your old account. This is less secure than a fresh install though, because it is possible some settings and info will be left behind in the main system and library folders. If are not storing any nuclear launch codes or anything this is probably sufficient.

It will leave behind licensing info for any apps you installed.

I would do the wipe and fresh install if it was me.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

Thanks!

Why not a clean install? Its easy quick and secure. Unless you are selling to friends and family, its what Ii do. If I am buying i expect a clean as from factory software state. If selling I even write zeros to my drive before clean install for sale. Also I'm assuming you are putting your licensed apps on your new machine

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Then change the title of your post.

If you're selling the machine you do indeed want a clean install. Why wouldn't you?

Ideally meaning I'm trying to find the easiest way to achieve the end result :)

Clean install does sound best according to what I have since read and folks recommended, maybe ill go down that route afterall then :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Clean install does sound best according to what I have since read and folks recommended
How can restoring to a factory fresh state not be for the best... especially for a sale?

If you're the paranoid type, I'd actually suggest you use one of the security options to zero out your platters/data before doing that clean install. A simply erase won't do this even though it appears that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.