Wiping iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by annie90, May 22, 2016.

1. annie90 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

So I length my old iPhone 4s to a work colleague for a week as her phone was out of action. I got it back but I'm trying to set it up to use again. I've restored it but when I try to set up again it keeps asking to log in with an apple ID that does belong to me. She has given my possible options of the it could be from her detail but nothing is working.

Is the any options to get around this, I want to set it up with my own details again

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nope you need her to remove the lock if that is the case ;)

Ps you won't get help here in bypassing iCloud locks

3. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

she given me her details but they are not working. it says the detail are incorrect. even when trying to log in here https://appleid.apple.com/account/home I've have phone since since 2011 and only stopped using it when I upgraded to a 6s in October last year

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You either need the correct details or you need her to remove the device from her account. I'm afraid you're stuck with an expensive paperweight.

5. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

Can apple not unlock it with the IMEI, I should be able to prove ownership. I can it unlock through my carrier about 3 years ago. There should be a record somewhere

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You can take it to an Apple store, but you're going to have to jump through some hoops in order to satisfy their ownership requirement. AFAIK, carriers cannot bypass activation lock - keep in mind that unlocking a mobile phone and activation lock are two very different things where your carrier is concerned.

7. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

I should still have the original contract. My mother got an upgrade and i used the phone. I tried to help someone out and I get totally screwed over. I wont be doing that. nearest Apple store is over 85 miles away from me. Don't have on in Ireland so have to go to Belfast :( :(

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Well, you'll never know until you try. Given that an expensive phone is in question, I would work toward resolving this.. even if it meant a long drive. Road trip! :)

9. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

I got a call scheduled with Apple support tomorrow morning to see if that get me anywhere. So annoyed about this. She used it for 5 days I dont why she couldn't log out over everything before giving it back to me and turning off iCloud :mad::mad:

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Turning off Find My iPhone would have alleviated this issue, but it's something most people, including myself once, overlook.

11. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I would have done that but she told me she never logged into anything with her details on it

12. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Simply setting up the phone with an iCloud ID is sufficient - this is usually done during initial setup - Find My iPhone is automatically enabled by default.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

So you are saying you cannot go up to her again and ask her to help ? You are out of luck and you have learned a valuable lesson from loaning your phone to someone else.

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Is the ID that comes up that it wants a password for, the same one she gives you the password for? Maybe someone else in her household logged into it, and she needs them to log it out for you?

15. annie90, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

annie90 thread starter macrumors member

I restored and wiped my stuff off it before giving it to her. I turned iCloud off before giving it to here

Yeah the email address looks like it corresponds to the information i can see. I tells me the email is P*****@m***** so the email I've been give would fill in the blanks on that. Ive got to iCloud website but it tell me the email in not an apple ID

I been onto her but as I've already said the information she has given to me is not working and she maintains that what I've been given are the old possible options

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

If this story is legit and you can prove to Apple that you purchased the phone, they should be able to help.

Otherwise, kaput.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Lesson learned about loaning one's phone out to people who do not know what they are doing.

18. Peter K., May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Re: Wiping iPhone...

"...you mean, with a cloth?" - HRC

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

20. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I opened this thread expecting to read how to clean my iPhone's screen with the correct fabric. lol.

21. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

it is legit. I still have the original purchase receipt in my mother name. it was her upgrade that i used. the document for the insurance cover is in my name as I paid that that. Still have both documents