Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hey folks. I've got an old-ish (2 year old, Mid 2010) 2.66GHz dual core i7 MacBook Pro running on Mountain Lion (it came with Snow Leopard when I first bought it, then I upgraded to Lion, then Mountain). (it's the one in my sig)

I intend to give it away as a gift, most probably with a vanilla installation of Mountain Lion.

What would you folks recommend as the best way to wipe it clean? Note that I installed Lion and Mountain Lion through the "proper" way of the App Store and so I have the Recovery drive, but I do NOT have a bootable drive for this. Not yet, at least.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks:D

Nov 28, 2010
located
Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Use your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Restore DVD to make a clean install.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

If you are worried about data recovery, also select ZERO OUT when clicking the SECURITY OPTIONS button under the FORMAT tab.

Totally forgot the banana bread part.

Create a bootable installer of the ML installer via these means, then boot from that installer and format the HDD as shown in one of the above guides via Disk Utility, don't forget the ZERO OUT option if you care about your sensitive data and the receiver could restore deleted data, then install ML. But I am not sure about the legal part of this, as you purchased ML and not the receiver.

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hey folks. I've got an old-ish (2 year old, Mid 2010) 2.66GHz dual core i7 MacBook Pro running on Mountain Lion (it came with Snow Leopard when I first bought it, then I upgraded to Lion, then Mountain). (it's the one in my sig)

I intend to give it away as a gift, most probably with a vanilla installation of Mountain Lion.

What would you folks recommend as the best way to wipe it clean? Note that I installed Lion and Mountain Lion through the "proper" way of the App Store and so I have the Recovery drive, but I do NOT have a bootable drive for this. Not yet, at least.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks:D

Create a bootable ML usb and boot from it. Format using disk utility and install ML fresh. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.