Wiping MB troubles..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jukes316, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jukes316 macrumors regular

Alright. Before posting this. I googled how to do it. Felt like I did everything right, but it still didn't DELETE everything on the Macbook and restore to brand new settings.

What I did:
    Turn off with disc inside already.
    Boot up and hold down "C" until spinner came on.
    Clicked english and went to Disk Utility.
    Hit security settings, blanked everything to Zero.
    Hit erase free space.

But it still didn't work...
    (I know I might be missing a few parts, I did it last night right before bed, was really tired. So can't remember everything off the top of my head right now.)

This morning I tried to add a new User account so I can delete the old one. But just didn't have enough time to search where to do it at.

Please help.
    Thanks.

2. chriseff macrumors newbie

chriseff

This is exactly how i do it and it seems to work fine. hmmm :S

3. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll a third time when I get home... Is there a button I"m missing you think? Idk why it's not deleting everything ! :((((

4. AshMan macrumors regular

From the sound of it you only wiped the freespace not the entire disk if that is your intent.

If you want to wipe the entire disk, boot off the install cd, go into disk utility, delete the partion and repartion, and then reinstall os. which will erase the disk.

Or you could pretty much do what you did but you want to wipe the whole disk not just the free space. to zero it out. will take longer. if you are willing to wait for a few days you could do a security wipe at 35 or so passes on the disk. ( think there is that option for it)

5. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I figured it out when I got home from work today and tried again.
    I only deleted the Free Space last time.

It's still going as I type this on my other laptop. Think 1 wipe will do the job right? I'm about to sell it so I really don't want anything left.

Thanks for the replies as well.