Wiping MBP-Making Bootable USB Maverkick USB Bootdisc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SD-B, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

http://www.macworld.com/article/2055589/how-to-format-a-startup-drive-for-a-mac.html

Hi!
    Using the above URL I am trying to make a bootable USB disc on a USB key I have of 16g gigs.
    Have followed the directions in the beginning JUST to format a USB drive but don't think judging by the screenshots it has worked.

When I Check the Partition Map afterwords I believe its supposed to show mine as"Master Boot Record"
    But doesn't, as the screenshots i have taken below will show.

Can anyone please confirm that it does appear to have worked?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. rigormortis, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

why not just hold down command R or option command R to restore ? i think its easier then dealing with usb keys

"Master boot record" is only used on dos/windows/linux , i believe

i think you want umm "mac gui partition table" and "mac os x journaled" which you have.

try the terminal method.
    get a copy of install os x.app.
    you want the APP and not the DMG

follow these directions
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

if you already made the boot key then you do the following:

hold down the option key during boot and it will bring up a menu where you can select the usb key to boot

holding down the C key for a usb key during boot up will also work

as soon as you hear the Bong when you turn it on, hold down either the option key or the c key

3. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

THAT is what i am asking about and why....

Thanks but I SPECIFICALLY need a USB install method.......hence my question

As I stated in the first post, I need to make a bootable USB disc for Maverick.
    According to the page I have posted above, I NEED TO SET MY USB drive up for this first OR it won't work so it says..

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

as long as you follow the directions at
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

it should work!

you just need to hold down either the option or c keys when you turn on the computer after the bong

you can get the app from the mac app store as a prior purchase

don't run the app just execute it from terminal

5. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

EDIT:

My understanding, UNLESS this article i have posted is wrong, that I MUST have the actual USB drive formatted properly and since it says mine wasn't, I have to do this other thing first.

IF wrong, then fine, someone let me know but someone else here in another thread gave me that link and i am following it as i was told to do......?

So which is wrong, which is right?

----------

Ok i will try that and see and report back

thanks

6. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Anyone know of an easier way to do this?

Does anyone know if there is an easy installer somewhere as there was for Lion, I think it was?
    Ive not used terminal before and although I think i could, its all the wording, etc that i am not sure of HENCE, if there is an easier way, I really hope someone knows of it as i keep walking away from these instructions when my eyes glaze over and I've been at this since Xmas day and no further ahead :confused:

It only takes me to not understand one of their directions and the whole things messes up.
    If a none knows of an easier way to follow this, please let me know.

All I know is that where i looked, I had to make sure my USB drive was set up a certain way.....I can't even remember now what it was but I followed those instructions and it didn't work and I really need to get this done :(

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The USB drive that you showed in your first post appears to be ready - GUID, and MAC OS Journaled, which is what you need - it's all good so far.

If you are not comfortable with a Terminal method for creating the installer drive, the you can download an app called DiskMakerX.
    http://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/

Follow the simple steps when you run that App. I've used it dozens of times.
    Start the app, choose the installer app as the source, then the flash drive as the destination, and continue. The app will ask for your password at some point. Don't be nervous if it appears to stall. It finishes by naming the flash drive, and applies a custom icon to the drive, too. Might take 15 minutes if everything is OK, but depending on the condition of the USB drive, it can also take a long time - an hour or more, so be patient.

8. alex0002 macrumors 6502

That is the easy way.

It is no more difficult to copy and paste the commands from apple or macrumors into the terminal, than it is to type on a message board about how you want an easier way that involves no typing.

Surely it has to be easier than reading 9 pages of screenshots?

I'm not sure why that instruction on macworld appears to want you to have a Master Boot Record, since your Mac will be quite happy to boot from an EFI USB drives. In any case, that instruction tells you "select GUID Partition Table and click OK" so you will eventually end up with a GUID Partition Table, even if it doesn't show this in the screenshots.

Perhaps it is because most new USB drives come formatted as MBR, but you will end up with a GUID Partition Table.

When I installed my new SSD with Mavericks I used this method:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18081307&postcount=3

If you downloaded OS X Yosemite instead of Mavericks, you need to use the terminal commands from the apple link above.

9. SD-B, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Ah, I wish i had asked you a week ago. I was under the impression from something I read that it wasn't ok, hence, why i was stuck.....I couldn't figure out how to make it ok.......but it was ok all along.
    Yes, I should have asked earlier.
    Thank you!

That said, I did just find the disk maker and made one and the second it was done, I looked back here and saw your message.
    Murphy's Law at work of course :p

Sorry, I really didn't express my question properly. I was more than tired of reading one page over and over that kept suggesting that formatting my USB key was all wrong.
    I understand it was actually right all along-----theres where i really got stuck.

Had it been JUST the Terminal I could have figured it all out......

You'd think for $3000 Apple could have just given me a USB key with Yosemite on it, NOT that that would have solved this problem above as i needed Maverick on an older MBP which is what i am working on but after about a week at looking at this USB key and mistakenly wondering why they said it wouldn't work, I kept swearing at Apple for not having given me a key for this one but now i have discovered that the USB key was right all along, future problems solved.

Still think for $3k they could give you a USB boot installer though :)

Thanks to all...I should have asked Dec 27th but have been too busy to spend more than 10 min here and there at it