Wiping my Hard Drive. How to get songs back?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by HeavenlyYeti, Sep 18, 2008.

1. HeavenlyYeti macrumors member

HeavenlyYeti

hey, recently my family's main computer got a really bad virus that does all kinds of crap to the system.
    It's running Windows XP, and all the people don't want to be lost are the photos and iTunes songs. The pics have been taken care of, but now I'm wondering how to ensure I'll be able to retrieve my iTunes library after the Wipe. I was thinking I could load it all on my iPod, but I also heard that it won't give all my songs back when I connect it later. Any help?
    Thanks, I really appreciate it!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just copy the Music folder that iTunes points to, to any external drive, including an iPod in Disk Mode.

TEG

3. avingochea macrumors member

You could enable ipod as a disk and just drop the Itunes music library folder in there, Also keep in mind that viri can embed themselves into mp3s.

4. HeavenlyYeti thread starter macrumors member

HeavenlyYeti

And how do I put my iPod in disk mode? :)

5. avingochea macrumors member

You do it through iTunes, when you insert your iPod it says something along the linds of disk mode. Not at home right now.

6. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Well first of all make sure your iPod has sufficient storage to hold all of the music you can find out how much GBs your music takes up in itunes at the bottom bar. Any ipod can be put into disk mode, except both iPhones and both iPod touches Putting An iPod Into Disk Mode Use that link to get your iPod into disk mode. **THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT*** Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your computer, if it isnt up to date, your iTunes library file will not be compatable with the new iTunes you are gonna download later on. and iTunes will not start. Now once you have the latest version of iTunes, go into your "My Documents" folder, double click "My Music", and copy the whole "iTunes" folder to your ipod, this will keep all your play counts, ratings, etc.. Once you have that done, you are done for now. After you are finished wiping the drive, and windows is reinstalled, just install the lastest version of iTunes from iTunes that link. Then simply copy the iTunes folder off your iPod back into the computer, and that's it everything should be as you left it, but I would scan the folder for viruses if I were you because viruses could've attached themselves to the music files.