Wiping personal data on macbook but leaving apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twelveozmouse, Jul 5, 2009.

1. twelveozmouse macrumors newbie

Hi, I am selling my Macbook Pro and need to wipe all my personal data off of it. I gave the guy buying it the option of me cleaning it out and leaving the applications and essentials on it or just putting in my install disk and wiping it all together.

I was wondering if there was a simple way to ensure that my data is off of it (I've done tax returns on it, personal photos, etc...) without clearing data he is just going to have to put right back on it (Firefox, Photoshop, etc...)

I thought I could create a new admin account and delete my user account but I just want to be sure that is enough and I couldn't find a solid answer searching the forums. This is the first time I've had to create a new post and haven't just found it by searching, I know how much we all hate repetitive threads.

Thanks for the help!

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

what apps are they?
    if its like iLife, just do an erase and install. if its like photoshop, and u want to keep using it you self, but keep it on there and give it to the guy, thats illegal.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Create a new admin account. Place the old user home folder in the trash and Secure Empty Trash by choosing Secure Empty Trash from the Finder menu.

4. twelveozmouse thread starter macrumors newbie

well I've moved around a ton so I think the only program disks I still have are microsoft office so I can't really activate any of the software on my new computer. It seemed like an awful waste.

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Might be but better safe than sorry...

6. twelveozmouse thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, with the looming report piracy ad beneath my thread, I think I'll just wipe. I'm already giving the guy a pretty good deal, he should be happy with it.

7. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

he should be happy with the fresh install of the OS and the recovery discs.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would just erase and reformat (mac osx extended journaled) the disc and then do a fresh install, this will ensure that all data has been wiped and it will be just like getting the computer out of the box for the first time.