wiping second hand iphone but keeping jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twisted-pixel, Mar 29, 2010.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Hi,

I've bought a second hand 3GS running 3.1.2, jailbroken. however I want to wipe it completey, but not lose the jailbreak.

how would people recommend I go about doing such a thing?

or, should I completely restore it back to factory, and then rejail break? (assuming I don't have to upgrade to 3.1.3 when I do that)

thanks for your advice

2. phrint macrumors 6502

From my research, use the Pwnage Tool from the Dev Team to create a customer 3.1.2 ipsw and re-jailbreak. You will be forced to update to 3.1.3 if you do a factory restore. When you jailbreak again using the custom ipsw file then it should completely wipe the phone clear of any info.

3. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

excellent..that sounds simple..not..

where should I go for the instructions?? for a simpletone that is.

I have jailbroken a phone before from scratch but I used blackrain and it was a 3.1.2 phone and no upgrade was available.

I'm worried that if I try to do it again, I'll cock it up and end up doing an upgrade to 3.1.3 and losing the abaility to jailbreak

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This depends on whether your current jailbreak is tethered or not. If it is untethered, then you should obtain of create a custom 3.1.2 firmware (made with Pwnage Tool) and shift-restore (Win) or option-restore (Mac) to this custom firmware. Be very careful not to upgrade to 3.1.3. If you have a tethered jailbreak, this is not an option. In that case I would just suggest manually deleting all accounts and apps from the phone, then syncing with iTunes (this should erase all content).

Please note: DO NOT use Erase All Content and Settings. This option will render your phone unbootable and will force you to restore and probably upgrade. It is to be used only when you intend to restore to an official firmware immediately afterward.

5. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I've had a search and pwnage tool is for a Mac, and the windows version only covers up to version 2 sw.

did I miss something?