Wiping the Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antmanciero, Feb 10, 2010.

1. antmanciero macrumors newbie

So My mac book pro is almost 3 years old now and runs ok. I recently purchased a 1 Tb external. Now that i have so much space i want to store all my necessary files on it and wipe the hard drive clean on my Macbook pro. I have my original Tiger install CD as well as my Snow Leopard CD. First question, can I run an install and erase straight from the snow leapord CD?
    Also, are there any dangers in doing this? Are there any files that i may have over looked that may be important to keep before erasing? Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make an exact copy of your Mac's HDD to the external, nothing gets lost that way.

Later you can use Migration Assistant to import all the data you want, but know that some applications might not be compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

1. everything you need is on the install DVD. That said, make sure that all of your information is backed up. This includes special Apps which you may not be able to get again or don't care to spend long re-downloading. A special note on iLife. It may not be on the install DVD, I forget so this needs clarifying.

2. you can erase all memory on the HDD and reinstall with the cd/dvd as long as it is the Full version. The upgrade version may not like that there is no OS to upgrade. Also of note is the erase free space option, which opens up some space. I did this on a jump drive and it opened up 300+ MB from a 1 GB drive.
    edit: spin beat me too it, with some better info. Spin, great pictures on propaganda page.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

+1 vote for SuperDuper! The program is inexpensive and works great. Plus, once you're done with your migration, you can use it as part of your regular back-up scheme.