Wiping the HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barbiedoll, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Barbiedoll macrumors newbie

Barbiedoll

I got my first Mac for Christmas 2 years ago. I have been fumbling around and downloading stuff since then.I have learned a lot and love my Mac.:D Lately I have been getting a message about not being able to mount the Macintosh HD. Everything seems to be working OK but sometimes things just lock up. I end up shutting it down and then sometimes it wont restart so I remove the battery and power cord and then restart it. I use an external drive for time machine. I was wondering If I could use that as a restore point. I'm leaning more toward just wiping the HD and reloading everything ... but can I use the time machine HD to recover things like my itunes library, mail, docs, etc? or do I need to save them in a special way. What about downloaded apps like adium and handbrake? can I recover these from time machine? I want to make sure I do this right and don't loose all my data in the process.:confused: I'm sorry if this is covered someplace else in the forum. I looked but couldn't find anything. Redirect me if I missed it.
    Thanks

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is covered somewhere else im sure but who cares

the answer would be yes you can. just use the os disc and do a complete format and install. then just use your external to recover everything.

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

4. Barbiedoll thread starter macrumors newbie

Barbiedoll

Volume failed to mount...

it still says that it failed to mount Mac HD. is that a problem? that's why I was going to reinstall the OS.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

did it occur when trying to determine the S.M.A.R.T. status?