Wiping Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JosephDuffy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm selling my Time Capsule in order to get a bigger HDD, since my 500GB is now relatively small.
    I want to wipe it completely, but under Disk Utility it isn't shown, so how do I go about this, and what is the original format, so when I sell it it's as new?
    I know you can hold down a button on the back for a while, but will this wipe it all? I know deleting files doesn't fully remove them, so I want to make sure I'm protected! :)
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

2. simsaladimbamba

3. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I meant Time Capsule, thanks :)
    I'll try connecting via Ethernet, see if that works? I don't have a USB Male > USB Male wire, so I'll have to try Ethernet.
    Thanks for the idea :)

4. ozthegweat macrumors regular

It's much simpler than that. Just open the Airport Utility, choose your Time Capsule in the list on the left, click the "Manual Setup" button on the lower left, then click on the "Disks" icon on the top, the click on the "Erase…" button. There you have the option to overwrite the hard disk ("Zero Out Data" in the drop-down menu), which I strongly recommend (it overwrites the whole disk with zeroes; this is gonna take a while). The other options with 7 or 35 passes are only for the ultra-paranoid in my opinion. And they don't take a while, they take an eternity :)