Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I plan to wipe my MacBook Pro and reinstall everything. It is currently on 10.12.6
It has been a long time since I've done this so I do not remember how to do it.

1. How do I get to the screen that enables me to wipe the Mac?
2. After being wiped, does it have the OS that the Mac had when I first got it?
3. If so, how do I upgrade to the latest Sierra without upgrading to High Sierra?

Thanks.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Turn off power on Mac, then hold down the following as you turn on:

- COMMAND-R-: Recovery which will re-install current OS with the Mac
- COMMAND-Option-R:- Internet Recovery which will install the latest version of your OS, from Apple servers

Keep holdeing the keys under you see Apple logo

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204904

Reactions: kat.hayes

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
@jbarley and @Tech198: I believe kat wants to avoid High Sierra like the plague that it is.

Awww, and Apple has so thoughtfully removed the ability to re-download the full 10.12 Sierra installer from the Mac App Store. Whatever are they trying to accomplish here? Could it be that Apple is trying to force people onto High Sierra like they force people onto the latest versions of iOS?

There's an agenda here with Apple. I guess that's why I consistently keep the last version of at least three previous OS X installers around. :D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
@jbarley and @Tech198: I believe kat wants to avoid High Sierra like the plague that it is.

Awww, and Apple has so thoughtfully removed the ability to re-download the full 10.12 Sierra installer from the Mac App Store. Whatever are they trying to accomplish here? Could it be that Apple is trying to force people onto High Sierra like they force people onto the latest versions of iOS?

There's an agenda here with Apple. I guess that's why I consistently keep the last version of at least three previous OS X installers around. :D

Doing Recovery mode does not just give you the only option of HS...

I've done it myself.... so i know.... It depends on the key board startup combo (I gave the link which gives more info)

I reinstalled over internet as the only method now when restoring my systems, and i get Serria *without* USB key.

The "better" way would to create USB key, BUT you don't need to. as it's the not the only way to get

Just pointing out other options for those who need

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I somehow messed up by wiping the drive, but when I did, it went to Internet Recovery and downloaded El Capitan. Is there any way to now get to Sierra? Do I need to wipe it try again? Is El Capitan a usable and safe OS to work with for the time being?

Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
El Capitan is fine.
Indeed, if everything you have works with it, I'd consider it to be BETTER THAN High Sierra.

HS seems to be "a bag of hurt" for too many folks right now.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
@jbarley and @Tech198: Oh OK, cool! I haven't used recovery mode in a long while, so I thought it was always giving you the latest (but often not greatest) version. Good deal! :)

I somehow messed up by wiping the drive, but when I did, it went to Internet Recovery and downloaded El Capitan. Is there any way to now get to Sierra? Do I need to wipe it try again? Is El Capitan a usable and safe OS to work with for the time being?

Thanks.

El Cap is just fine. If I had the choice, I would still be running El Cap 10.11.6, but my MacBook Pro is too recent a model.

If you want Sierra, you need the installer. Apple removed it from the Mac App Store, so maybe @jbarley or @Tech198 can help with that. I could upload it for you to somewhere if all else fails and if that's legal.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Is there some way to update individual programs like Safari? Numbers? The versions that come with El Capitan seem to be missing features that are preventing them from synching with iCloud properly.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.