Wiping your HD and re-installing everything?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhrussel, Dec 5, 2007.

1. rhrussel macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook for over year and it's getting slow and clogged up. I'd like to re-format the HD and re-install everything from scratch. Could anybody give me any advice on doing this safely?

Thanks

2. skuzzy macrumors member

Firstly, you are going to want to backup everything that is important to you on some form of external media.
    I assume from there, you stick the disk that came with your Mac (gray one) and run it from by pressing some buttons (no clue what they are - someone else?).
    Follow the steps to do a clean install, choose what you want/don't want and install it.

Simple?

3. GregE macrumors 6502

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Wiping your HD and re-installing everything?

As the fellow above stated, if there's any data on your HDD, it must be back upped before doing anything else.

Did you upgrade to Leopard? If so take the Leopard installation disk and insert it. Then select the restart icon. When your MacBook restarts, you'll be able to reinstall the operating system.

When you're asked how you what to install, choose the option to erase and install.

When that's done you have a brand new copy of your operating system. Then reinstall all your programs. Then Apple software update will tell you there are software updates for your MacBook. Select to have all of them to be installed. Then you can copy back your data files.

If you didn't upgrade to Leopard, why didn't you?

You'll need to do the above by inserting your MacBooks' original installation disk.

But seriously this is a perfect time to switch to Leopard. Whenever Apple releases a new version of OS X, I go through this same procedure.

5. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

How about run DiskWarrior first and see if that speeds it up?