Wire(d) vs (-less) speed on MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidlv, Sep 26, 2009.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell me what speed difference to expect when connecting to the web via a wired ethernet or wireless connection (g or n) (ASDL modem now, converting to fiber optics soon)?
    The present wired setup gets up to 700KBs/sec at the best (appe servers etc.), but it generally seems rather slow (for example loading MacRumours pages).
    Can I expect decent speed using an Apple Express to add wireless capability with this ASDL connection (assume the optical network will be much better)?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

Your connection to the internet (through your ADSL modem) is significantly slower than both wired and wireless.

700KB/sec is fairly quick for ADSL. I generally get about 2000KB/sec through my cable modem.

Just to give you an idea I have gotten 15,000KB/sec over 802.11n (5Ghz) from my Airport Extreme transferring info between computers. WAY faster than my internet connection.

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

dang! your internet connections are fast!!! mine tops at 200kb/s:(

lucky...:mad:
    :)

4. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Yah, I live in Japan (good electricity) and I am very close to the nearest ASDL station (node?), the assistant that helped me set it up on the free-dial phone number was rather surprised. Still, it is getting to be old tech, so I applied for a fiber optic ISP, will take another 2 weeks to get it installed.
    That should help a lot, can't wait! :D
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'm on a 100/100 Mbps connection and using the D-Link DIR-655 router speedtest.net reports 95/60 Mbps using wired and about 70/40 Mbps using wireless (802.11n draft 2.0).

This is basically the best case situation. In reality there is enough latency and overhead on most servers that there is no real noticeable difference between wired and wireless speed.

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Practically speaking, I don't think there's any real difference when your WAN network access is about 5 Mbps, which is well within the capabilities of both wired and wireless network bandwidth. The bottleneck will be the upstream (to your ISP) network bandwidth rather than which form of local network you use.