Wire Management questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Neo-Tech, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I had no idea where to put it and thought this would be the most appropriate.

Okay, so I have a new desk (IKEA Micke desk) in my room for me to use my two laptops (Toshiba and a MacBook Pro) and for whatever purpose I may need it for. My desk has a small section at the back behind the drawer for me store an extension lead and any wires I may have to hide away.

The problem I have is the wires for both power adapters are extremely long, and I'm a bit worried that squeezing them in is a bad idea? Should I get smaller wires or something? I need some tips on keeping things tidy. :p I also have space to store the power adapters there, but I'm a bit worried that they might get too hot?

My Toshiba laptop power supply is one to get hot very quickly because of what I do on it (gaming, mainly), and sometimes I have my Toshiba laptop and MacBook on at the same time and if the power adapters are next to each other, they'll get extremely hot. What would you recommend for me to do in this instance? I was thinking of installing a fan (like the ones you get on CPUs) above where the compartment is in order to keep things cool, though I'm not sure how I'd power it and how noisy it would be, unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Velcro

Make sure the transformers (the bricks that heat up) aren't packed in with your cables. They need to be able to dissipate heat.

3. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I'll see if I can get hold of some. Thanks for the info/reply.

As for the heat issue, it's become a real issue now that the temperatures have started to rise outside. Even with just the one adapter, it gets very hot in the compartment I leave the charger in. Hmm...