Wired Airplay Ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sfdavesf, Apr 28, 2014.

1. sfdavesf macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2014
    In my office, I have my computer and my router. I want to connect a AV Receiver to Airplay but it is a bit old so does not work natively (not built in). Of course I could go spend $100 for an ATV2 or an Airport Express but that seems like overkill. Are there any devices out there that I can hook up with ethernet or wireless that provides a 3.5mm stereo, RCA, or HDMI output as its sole purpose? I dont need display only audio. My wireless repeater can do the job but why would i put a wireless repeater in the same room as my router? Seems surprising nobody decided to make a cheap dongle (~$20) that can just pick up the airplay single and output to a stereo connection. Any Ideas from the community?
  2. waw74 macrumors 68030

May 27, 2008
    probably not that cheap,
    by the time you put wired, wireless, and then add audio processing in there, and throw the licensing fees for airplay on top of that, you're getting pretty close to the cost of the airport.

you don't have to set it up as a repeater, you're better off not using repeater mode if you don't need it anyway.
    you can turn off the wireless and connect via ethernet, or have the airport connect to your wireless as a client (like your laptop or iphone do)

you can get an express refurb from apple for $75

if you have an old iOS device hanging out, you can use airfoil as an alternative although it only works sending audio from a computer.

or now that people have cracked the encryption for airplay. you can set up a rasberryPi as an airplay receiver. that will run you in the $40-60 range once you get all the parts you need. and you'll need to be comfortable on the command line