Wired App = Unbelievably Long Backup Times

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ntrigue, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I've tried a number of venues to resolve this problem. After downloading the last two issues of Wired I attached my iPad to the computer and walked away. An hour later I returned and it was still 30% into 'Backing Up iPad' process.

I'm upset because these 500MB files are obviously being downloaded to the wrong place in the file structure. I recall Byline and MobileRSS had this issue one release.

Is anyone else neglecting the backup because of Wired app?

2. ipadDev macrumors member

Thats what happens when developers misuse the CoreData framework.

3. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

So THAT'S why my backup was interminable today! I downloaded the wired app last night, and while I love the slick presentation features they're not worth hanging up synching.

I'll shoot the app for now, and hope I can find out when they fix it.

Thanks, OP, for posting this; I never would have figured out what the problem was otherwise.

4. big_scot_nanny macrumors newbie

is it only the wired app? I also have Time and the london Times apps, and I am also suffereing horrendous backup times.

I guess I will delete and see if it solves.

Kev

5. markgo2k macrumors member

One side comment: I've noticed vastly improved backup times with iOS 4.x on my iPhone. So hopefully even large backups become more palatable once 4.2 ships for the iPad.

6. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We don't require restoration of the issues in Wired app. The framework is in place to redownload issues so it is clearly a mistake to include this data in the backup.

I estimate that all four issues would require over 5 hours to backup the device!