wired connection between imac and amp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by webfaktor, Dec 7, 2013.

1. webfaktor macrumors newbie

My goal is to livestream music from my 2011 imac to an older yamaha amp. I want to develop a quality wired connection between the two devices. The distance between the two devices is approximately 40 feet. I tried bluetooth but could not establish a good connection.

Advance thanks,
    Webfaktor

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

3. webfaktor thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what would work? - I am largely ignorant of technology and how best to resolve my quest...

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Find the instructions for Apples Airport Express on line somewhere. It has detailed instructions on using it to connect a stereo system to a computer wirelessly. Essentially, you plug the amp into the Airport and the computer reads it from there.

Dale

5. webfaktor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Dale for your help with this. I tried a bluetooth device yet the distance prevented a good connection. I am wondering if there is a way to hard-wire the two (40 feet apart) devices?

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I use the older design of the Airport Express to connect my component stereo across the room from my computer. This is the one that looks like a Apple laptop charger and plugs directly into the wall outlet with a stereo line-output cable going to my amplifier. It becomes just another WiFi client on my network.

I assume the newer ones behave in a similar fashion.

-howard

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

They do this is now called Air Play (it used to be called Air Tunes), it's extremely simple to set up however the OP will need either an older Airport Express or current one. Both are available from Apple's online refurbished store for as low as $69.00. AFAIK bluetooth will not work, you need the AEX router.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you're trying to use it for movies audio will lag the video. For music the AirPort Express will be fine and supports ALAC.

9. webfaktor, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

webfaktor thread starter macrumors newbie

I am only attempting to stream music. If I understand you correctly: I will connect the airport express to my amp via rca connectors and the imac will provide it a signal as good as a wired connection by which to play internet music sources?

ALSO: Could I connect airport express to my 2011 imac with an Ethernet cable and thus pump music from the imac to the airport express and to the amp via rca cables?

10. webfaktor thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution:

I called apple sales. They informed me the best solution was the use of Belkin stereo cables and the necessary couplers to achieve the distance.

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If your Yamaha has a Toslink connection (digital optical) then forget about the belkin cables and get yourself a cable like this, the quality of the music will be better than using RCA.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-27016-Vel...86456231&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+jack+to+optical