Wired connection to Time Capsule causing loss of wireless speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vinyl.warrior, Sep 4, 2008.

1. vinyl.warrior macrumors newbie

I bought an airport express with the hope of extending my wireless network to accommodate an internet tv box in the living room. it didn't work in a variety of different ways. The main way was that there wasn't enough bandwidth to being supplied to the tv box to display the tv properly. A secondary problem was that when I tried to do that, I would pretty much lose my wireless connection. I would still be connected, just my internet speed dropped to pretty much zero.

5 hours later, I've found that even if I connect a LAN cable from the tv box to the TC, I'll lose my internet speed.

I have a special ISP provided router that I need to use to access the internet. The TC is plugged into that and is set to bridge mode. It's broadcasting a b/g/n network.

If I wire the tv box directly into the ISP supplied router, my wireless internet speeds are barely affected. Something in the Apple machines are screwing things up. What could it be?

2. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I doubt this is causing the problem, but you could set up the TC as a wireless network and then still run a cable from the TV box straight to the TC. So essentially you aren't running the TC in bridge mode and you have a wireless network as well as a wired connection.

3. vinyl.warrior thread starter macrumors newbie

In that case, I may as well just run the TV box straight into the ISP supplied router.

The real goal is to plug the TV box into an Airport Express, have the Express beam the connection to the TC, all while still being able to use wireless from my laptop.

Something in the TC is causing things to get a little screwed up, though...