Wired ethernet and airport simultaneously - which one trumps?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Foxer, May 14, 2009.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

As succinctly as possible, I've got an alum iMac as my primary machine. My internet (verizon Fios) runs from the verizon modem through a (current) airport extreme. iMac is connected to airport extreme by ethernet cable. The airport is broadcasting wirelessly for my MacBook, iPhone, Apple TV, etc.

I want to run the iMac off of the wired connection to maximize speed. However, I also need it to be on the airport network so that it can communicate with the :apple:TV and broadcast over airtunes to some remote speakers.

Question: If the iMac is connected both wireless and by ethernet, which connection is being used? Also, how can I ensure that it is using the (faster) wired connection whenever possible?

gracias

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you only have one airport extreme, you shouldn't have to have your wireless on on your iMac. Even though it is connected via ethernet and your Apple TV by wireless they are both on the same network subnet. In fact it may cause issues to have the computer connected to the same network twice.

3. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

You can turn off the airport safely and still do all those things you wish to do.
    The wired connection to the AEBS puts your iMac on the same network as the wireless connected machines

4. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

I turned airport off, but lost connection to everything. So I turned everything off and I guess that reset something, I guess, and it seems to work.

Many thanks, all!

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

When both are enabled, I believe the Mac OS defaults to the ethernet connection.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, it defaults to whatever is on top in the Network System Preference pane. That might not be Ethernet, if the items have been reordered from the defaults.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yup, this.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Does this also apply for connection to a Time Capsule? If you were using wirless, but needed to do a big backup, could you simply plug inan ethernet cable to each other, or would you have to check the Preferences in Network System Preferences pane?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Click the little gear at the bottom and you can select the Set Service Order... window. In there you can rearrange the service order.