Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Good to know face ID can’t be fooled with a photo

That was one aspect they concentrated on during the keynote. How much R&D effort went into creating a system that's not easily bypassed.

While facial recognition isn't exactly new technology, Apple refines it to an incredible degree. Just like they took unreliable fingerprint scanning tech and made it extremely easy for anyone to use.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Well, beyond "does face ID work" there's a bit of nostalgia to the review. The author was one of a very select few that was given the first iPhone to early-test and review.

Reactions: bambooshots

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Author wasn't fully convinced with FaceID, seems to take some getting used to. Also not convinced that 'double tapping the side button and then doing FaceID' is 'better' than before - I really like the simplicity of just holding my thumb on the touchID button and then tapping the NFC reader. I do sometimes 'precharge' apple pay - when going through an underground station gate for example, but its not my preferred option

Reactions: Geert76

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I quickly perused the article, and it confirmed some of my assumptions, overall it seems to be a good phone, but time will tell if its a great phone.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Author wasn't fully convinced with FaceID, seems to take some getting used to. Also not convinced that 'double tapping the side button and then doing FaceID' is 'better' than before - I really like the simplicity of just holding my thumb on the touchID button and then tapping the NFC reader. I do sometimes 'precharge' apple pay - when going through an underground station gate for example, but its not my preferred option
yes because its the habit...remember we have home button for 10 years, and touchid for 4 years, so lets see how we get along with faceID after 2-3 years

Reactions: mrklaw and SHKLMRE

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
He seemed to be used to it already.. So much so that he was expecting the iPad to unlock with Face ID.

Reactions: rensi and zhandri

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
So a pig in lipstick then. ie same ole same ole. iOS in a different wrapper. Button mashing social networking photo taking machine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So a pig in lipstick then. ie same ole same ole. iOS in a different wrapper. Button mashing social networking photo taking machine.
I wouldn't go that far, because I think the prior generation iPhones were great in their own right. I think apple played it safe for far too long. I think the X represents Apple's realization that they're behind the times in many respects and this effort seems to be a solid move on their part.

I think the buttonless technology is too new for Apple fans that we need to take a wait and see attitude to see how it really shakes out in day to day usage. In other words the jury is still out on the buttonless stuff

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You don't need to touch the side button just use raise to wake or tap to wake

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Since FaceID is what pretty much everyone wants to know about, I've copy-pasted it from the article:

You're welcome.
thanks ; )

----
that said, i want to know about faceID in the mode where it doesn't require eye contact..
as far as i can guess right now, that's the mode i'll prefer to use it in.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I wouldn't go that far, because I think the prior generation iPhones were great in their own right. I think apple played it safe for far too long. I think the X represents Apple's realization that they're behind the times in many respects and this effort seems to be a solid move on their part.

I think the buttonless technology is too new for Apple fans that we need to take a wait and see attitude to see how it really shakes out in day to day usage. In other words the jury is still out on the buttonless stuff

I kinda meant its just a smart phone with smart phone features. Nothing new. Like how can someone come up with something new anyway. Its a tough call. But for most its just the same ole thing. A smartphone :)

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
you double click it for Apple Pay yes. It's harder slower than the current process.

do you mean harder and slower, or 'hardly slower'? Because depending on which you meant, I'd have to disagree with you :p

Paying at tesco is literally an almost subconcious 'bop phone on NFC terminal with thumb on home button' - beep, done. I don't have to look or pay attention.

Almost anything will be more effort than that. I'm hoping I'll be able to adapt to something like - tap on NFC which will trigger an unlock request - tilt phone towards me - beep, done. That'd be ok. Will be interesting to see how flexible it is

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Sure it's well written but I don't think the review included details really. I mean it seems as if the author provided the overall details and concepts of the phone. I just thought that after reading the review I really wasn't leaning one way or the other. I didn't really propose questions in my head... Personally I'm more interested in a more technical review of the phone.

Thoughts?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I wonder if any of the other stalwarts of the tech review industry who reviewed the first iPhone will post similar first impressions, like Walt Mossberg and David Pogue.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
do you mean harder and slower, or 'hardly slower'? Because depending on which you meant, I'd have to disagree with you :p

Paying at tesco is literally an almost subconcious 'bop phone on NFC terminal with thumb on home button' - beep, done. I don't have to look or pay attention.

Almost anything will be more effort than that. I'm hoping I'll be able to adapt to something like - tap on NFC which will trigger an unlock request - tilt phone towards me - beep, done. That'd be ok. Will be interesting to see how flexible it is
my big issue with using Apple Pay on my 7 plus it's a bad experience as my screen can sometimes takes 4-5 secs just to wake up. an IOS 11 issue I believe so for me face ID will be far quicker

However when I get my apple watch series 3 I will use apple pay on that I imagine more than on the phone most likely

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
No details.

It looks absolutely beautiful. Finally a Iphone with a big, beautiful display, in a small package. My guess is, it will have the best overall camera, or be right at the top with the Pixel 2. Now going to see what samsung brings with the s9 and then I'll make my decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.