Wired: Freeconomics and what it means for you

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thejadedmonkey, Feb 26, 2008.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I saw the headline of this moth's Wired Magazine, and read it online. Basically, everything will be free. As an aspiring web designer, I'm not sure what this will mean. Does that mean sites like OSWD.org will make people like me obsolete?

What does this new way of doing business mean for you?

article link: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Nah, as long as you're good you'll always be around.

People thought graphic designers would be obsolete when personal computers were becoming mainstream. Just because you can design freely or even cheaply does NOT make you a good designer (which is why my boss hired me despite her having taken Dreamweaver classes).

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Free" doesn't mean "free." It means, "we'll charge you indirectly for this product/service." The article was interesting, but a bit too academic and simplistic at times, IMO.

Lethal

4. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's good to know. The last thing I want to hear is that what I'm studying at school right now is about to fall out from under me.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just read a couple of interesting things relating to "free" on the internet. Revver is apparently losing money and looking for a buyer and Stage6 just got shut down. I guess "free" is still having trouble making money in some parts.;)

Lethal

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I read the print version, and they seem seem to forget the numerous precedents. Price discrimination and bundling are very old business concepts, they are just recasting it in a new light.

I don't see it as a revolution in economics, except that technology enables the kind of negligible marginal costs products that they are talking about -- and when something is truly free (not merely a few pennies), it flips a switch in consumer's heads and they react very differently (according to the article).