Wired home network with FIOS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ibadukefan, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ibadukefan macrumors newbie

I just bought a house and ordered Verizon FIOS (25up/25down). My house has a crawl space and I want to wire my house so I'm not using wifi for all my connections. I want to utilize the full stream of the FIOS. I am connecting a few computers in different rooms, as well as an Xbox 360, Samsung Bluray Player, HD DVR, etc. I also need wifi (N) setup.

I am looking for advice on the best way to go about this. What devices do I use? What kind of cable (cat5, fiber)? I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I don't want a ghetto network either. Any aside would be appreciated!

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Typically these refer to smoke generation and flammability. Plenum-rated cables are typically LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) and riser-rated cables are usually just ZH. I'd imagine wall-rated cables are similar to plenum-rated cables.

4. eelhead01 macrumors member

So I take it you go from router to switch and then wire to each room your going to hook up too?

Is there a max distance on the length of the wire as well?

I only ask because I just bought a home and want to run wired to everything as well.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The max length of a cat6 cable is around 300 feet. And that's between devices, since switches and stuff act like repeaters, so you can have 300 feet between the router and switch, and 300 feet from switch to computer or another switch. But I think you'd have to live in a mansion to need more than 300 feet in a single run.

6. eelhead01 macrumors member

Nope I got a 1700 square fooot house and the most it wout be is about 30'

7. ibadukefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Information

This is all excellent advice! Any other tips/tricks out there?

8. Ttownbeast, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Cat5e is another option instead of Cat6 if you want to save a little money, but I would go for Cat6 if you can as nmrrjw66 suggested for future-proofing.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, if you're going through the trouble of running cable throughout your house and in the walls and install jacks, use Cat6 to future-proof yourself.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Please see my ninja-edit above. ;)