Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibadukefan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
I just bought a house and ordered Verizon FIOS (25up/25down). My house has a crawl space and I want to wire my house so I'm not using wifi for all my connections. I want to utilize the full stream of the FIOS. I am connecting a few computers in different rooms, as well as an Xbox 360, Samsung Bluray Player, HD DVR, etc. I also need wifi (N) setup.

I am looking for advice on the best way to go about this. What devices do I use? What kind of cable (cat5, fiber)? I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I don't want a ghetto network either. Any aside would be appreciated!

eelhead01

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Phoenix
So I take it you go from router to switch and then wire to each room your going to hook up too?

Is there a max distance on the length of the wire as well?

I only ask because I just bought a home and want to run wired to everything as well.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So I take it you go from router to switch and then wire to each room your going to hook up too?

Is there a max distance on the length of the wire as well?

I only ask because I just bought a home and want to run wired to everything as well.

The max length of a cat6 cable is around 300 feet. And that's between devices, since switches and stuff act like repeaters, so you can have 300 feet between the router and switch, and 300 feet from switch to computer or another switch. But I think you'd have to live in a mansion to need more than 300 feet in a single run.

eelhead01

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Phoenix
The max length of a cat6 cable is around 300 feet. And that's between devices, since switches and stuff act like repeaters, so you can have 300 feet between the router and switch, and 300 feet from switch to computer or another switch. But I think you'd have to live in a mansion to need more than 300 feet in a single run.

Nope I got a 1700 square fooot house and the most it wout be is about 30'

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Cat5e is another option instead of Cat6 if you want to save a little money, but I would go for Cat6 if you can as nmrrjw66 suggested for future-proofing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.