WIRED internet connection periodically hangs...help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by switchover101, Jul 13, 2009.

1. switchover101 macrumors newbie

I purchased my new mbp a little less than a week ago, and Ive noticed a slight problem. Normally my internet is blazing fast, but every once in a while (every 3-5 hours) my internet will just stop for about a minute. Pages will stop loading, my chat stops responding, etc. I have a PC right next to me and the internet continues to work fine with that so I know my internet is fine. This problem is with a WIRED connection, I dont really use airport yet.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Try using a different cable, first, and then change ports in your switch/router.

What kind of switch/router are you connecting to?

3. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the interesting thing is last time this happened I unplugged the ethernet from the mbp and plugged it into my pc laptop and the internet worked fine. then i plugged the ethernet cable back into my mbp and the internet was still hanging (pages wouldn't load) even though the internet worked perfectly fine on my pc laptop, which is why it must be a setting on the mbp or something.

i'm not too familiar with macs since this is my first one so i dont really know what setting to look for...

edit: I'm connected to a belkin router is that makes a difference...

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I had Safari unable to connect a couple times. Firefox was able to no problems. What browser were you using?

Try using a different web browser and see if the issue persists.

5. Devtron macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, just with my wifi conection, i have already bought a new wifi router ( airport express ), and it still happens, iphone, ps3, and a another laptop, run just fine, it is only the macbook pro.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sometimes mixing brands of equipment can cause connectivity issues. In this case, there might be something wrong with your computer. Make sure it is up-to-date with all software updates and try restarting your computer.

7. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mainly use safari right now...i have firefox open now as well so next time it occurs, i'll see if the browser makes a difference.

8. fpnc macrumors 68000

I've found that sometimes when my computer loses its internet connection that I have to quit and relaunch Safari before I can re-establish the connection to the internet. Doesn't happen all of the time, usually it reconnects just fine. The point is that if you just swap the cable between a PC and Mac that the internet connection to Safari may not work until you quit and relaunch Safari. Thus, just swapping cables may not be a good test of where the problem lies (since the router or ISP may have dropped the connection initially and by the time you swap the cable to the PC the connection is on again).