Wired keyboard can't power two flash drives??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by unixperience, Nov 12, 2010.

1. unixperience macrumors regular

Hello
    So I have an aluminum numeric keyboard. and when I plugged in two scandisk Cruzer usbdrives it said that one of them wasn't getting enough power. So I read online and saw that some people said windows can provide enough power for both.
    So i turn on my virtual windows machine (which automatically mounted the usb drive that was connected) and then my mac was able to mount the second usb drive! but when I let windows try to host both drives in the keyboard windows said it couldn't power both devices either! this may just be because it was a vm

but my point is at one time I had access to both drives in my keyboard(with one os for each one) but when using just a single one it wont work.

LONG STORY SUMMED UP: is there any way to change a setting so I can pushout more power to my usb keyboard? I'm perfectly fine with terminal and editing files, but is there a setting to change anywhere?(it's only getting 300mA and the usb drives need 200 each and the keyboard itself needs 20 so that all fits in the 500mA range)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No.

3. unixperience thread starter macrumors regular

ha, thanks.
    I just thought it was weird because it's obviously not a physical limitation, because physically both drives were working simultaneously at ONE time but they don't now. thanks anyway

4. barny macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes there is!
    Look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8kVWy8Qf7A

Barny

5. unixperience thread starter macrumors regular

wow amazing!!! 500mA per port as in 1amp total in that keyboard? I'm not trying to charge multiple ipods just get both flashdrives to work(though after doing reasearch I found out the cruzers use more electricity than most flash drives)

Is there any similar hack in mac?

6. barny macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm not sure. This hack didn't work for me but it did for others and it was probably because I tun windows xp and not windows 7 like in the video.

I'm not really sure how bootcamp windows works. If it uses a registry then I guess this Hack should work. I assume the keyboards USB ports work without having to hack them when used on a mac running mac os.

7. unixperience thread starter macrumors regular

well id assume under osx it would be fine too. but also on the website it says that they give full power with a 27" imac..... i don't see why they cant give full power with any comp.. or if not laptops, then why not the smaller imac or mac mini?

but bootcamp windows works exactly the same as regular windows, except theres a few different key combos if you are using an apple keyboard, but the registry and everything else is all there

I want this to work in osx. i hardly ever use windows except when using circuit design software

8. barny macrumors member

Oh i thought it gave full power when used with ANY mac. According to things i have read the USB ports are powered, it's just that for some reason Apple says they arnt. I'm still trying to make mine powered and the registry fix doesn't seem to be working :(