Wired keyboard option w/iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by T-Mac, Aug 9, 2011.

1. T-Mac macrumors member

I ordered my iMac with the wired numeric keyboard. How long is the cable? Saw a youtube unboxing video and the cable looked ridiculously short. Does it come with an extension?

I plan to use the keyboard on a slide-out drawer under my desk and the cable will need some reasonable length in order to do this.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's probably a total of 6 feet or so. There is the short cable, then an extension for it.

3. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. 6' will be plenty long enough. Are you confirming that the wired keyboard option definitely comes with an extension?

4. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

I am.

5. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That saves me from searching around town to find who sells USB extensions.

6. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

if you need it to be so long why not just get the wireless one?

7. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Well, because I don't want the wireless one :rolleyes: I want the numeric keypad, no batteries to deal with, and the usb ports all of which are only available with the wired keyboard.

8. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

9. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

oh yea, and don't forget the revolutionary tangle cable tm. its the latest in apple technology:D

10. farmermac macrumors 6502a

When I ordered my 24" a few years back it didn't come with an extension. I'm 2 iMacs later and still using the same keyboard. Good choice on not getting the wireless one. Numeric keypads are where it's at!

11. neo-cd macrumors newbie

neo-cd

I agree with that :).

In addition, it's better to have a wired keyboard in order to boot in another partition (Bootcamp).

As you know you should know, you need to press the ALT key before the boot of the Mac, but if you have a wireless one, you will not be able because the bluetooth module it's not activated at this moment.

Well that's a problem that I seen with my wireless keyboard... maybe it's working with other persons.... :)

12. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Well apparently if you order the iMac with the wired keyboard, you get no extension cable. If you buy the wired keyboard sold separately, it comes with an extension.

This seems like a poor decision by Apple. Now I'm off to find an extension cable somewhere. :mad:

13. sgand macrumors newbie

I watched a wired keyboard unboxing, and it showed a special usb extension. It had a bump or something on the inside so you couldn't use it on anything but the keyboard.

14. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

I think the difference is whether you buy the retail keyboard itself (includes the extension), or you order a BTO iMac with the wired keyboard option (does not come with the extension).

Apparently, Apple assumes if you're using the keyboard with an iMac, you don't need a longer cable. This is a bad assumption for them to make.

15. mac-ho macrumors member

The USB connection you want can be found at a store like RadioShack. I keep the one I have plugged in a USB port and use it for importing pictures from different cameras. It does have a bump inside, but still works like a regular USB. I use the original numeric keyboard. (Full- Size, like a keyboard was meant to be.) YEA, GO CAVEMEN!! I have the wired numeric & the wireless, so I did give them a try.

16. WhatsHisFace macrumors newbie

Yes, this was disappointing. Why do the BTO customers suffer when we're paying more?

Bought a USB extension cable that I'm about to try out. Hope all's well.

17. seniorgeek macrumors member

Mine did not come with an extension and the one on the keyboard is too short. I have a late 2011 model.

18. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

If it makes you feel better, I also swapped my wireless for wired keyboard.
    Don't really need the hassle of replacing batteries on a keyboard that isn't moving hence no need for wireless. I also swapped my Magic Mouse for the R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse. Wayy more comfortable and I used the programmable buttons to macro the multi-touch gestures I lost. :)

EDIT: Just realized this thread is extremely old, kudos for bumping it >.>

19. WhatsHisFace, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

WhatsHisFace macrumors newbie

Cord works fine and I can now put the keyboard on the keyboard tray. Clutter free workspace :D