Wired keyboard vs. Wireless

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AcesHigh87, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I'm looking for some opinions here. I already know I will be upgrading my macbook to a new iMac within the next few days but I can't decide on the keyboard.

I don't know how much use the numpad would honestly get but I will already need batteries for the magic mouse (which I already own) and the magic trackpad (which will come with the computer) so having to have that extra set for the keyboard seems like a waste to me. Especially since I don't care about a wire.

Plus there is the issue of taking up a USB slot, which the iMac doesn't have a tonne of, with a wired keyboard.

All in all I'm fine with either I would just like some opinions to see which one might be a better option.

P.S In case it for some reason matters, the iMac will be my main video editing rig.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I usually get 4-6 months on a set of batteries on my Apple Wireless Keyboard, and that's running 14+ hours a day, 7 days a week. It's the best keyboard I've ever used.

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

So in your opinion I should go with the wireless since it's battery life is great anyway?

What I'm also considering is that I'm used to the keyboard on my macbook which would differ a bit from the wired version.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Really, the only reason not to use the wireless keyboard is if you have a need for the numpad. I use mine with my MBP, to reduce wear on the built-in MBP keyboard. I've found it to be more comfortable to use, as well.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I like the easiness of the wireless and it has a great battery life, we also have an imac and a wires mouse and i do have to say that with both plugged in the amount of usb spots is limited. So if you have a lot of external accessories, i would get a wireless

6. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will go with the wireless one. I was just worried that the battery life would be limiting but if I can get several months on a set of batteries it's not much to worry about. Plus, Like I said, I have no real use for the numpad and it saves a USB slot so why not.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Btw I was just wondering if the Magic Mouse is a good idea for video editing or wouldn't a different mouse with a higher dpi and precision be better?

8. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Just one question with the wireless though. Does it automatically pair with the iMac when you start it up? Just wondering since you need to use it for initial setup, obviously, and I don;t have a USB keyboard kicking around.

----------

I was given the magic mouse as a gift and I use it for my every day tasks. When I do go in to edit it usually does the job pretty well though. If I do find myself having trouble with it I have a few USB mice kicking around that can get the job done.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

If I remember correctly (i use the wireless keyboard with my mbp and an external display) you have to pair it with the Bluetooth Assistant (click bluetooth on the top and setup bluetooth device) the first time and than afterwards everything pairs automatically.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

11. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87