Wired Might Mouse side button problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SpikeJr, Sep 13, 2007.

1. SpikeJr macrumors newbie

Currently I have the side buttons set to expose all windows and recently my wired Mighty Mouse has begun to expose all windows with the slightest movement of the mouse. I had to disable the side button in order to get any work done.

I returned the mouse to the local Apple store (under warranty) thinking the side button micro switches were shorting out (you can hear repeated clicking with slight mouse movements). Unbelievably, the new mouse does the SAME THING! :eek: Not sure if the new mouse was a refurb because it didn't come in retail packaging, although it did have plastic wrapping and a cover for the USB plug...

Troubleshooting: Noticed that it doesn't matter if the side button is programed to "expose all windows" or "dasboard"...whatever is assigned to the "side keys" will happen repeatedly with the slightest movements of the mouse....kind of cool to see your dashboard / windows anytime you move your mouse...NOT!

I tried plugging the new mouse into the other USB port on the keyboard, and tried a USB port on the back of the iMac and it still is not working properly...

The new mouse also makes a micro "clicking" sound when the mouse is moved around...I assume it's the side button micro switches operating even though I'm not pressing the switch.

Since this occurred in the new mouse as well, could this be a software issue?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

2. SpikeJr thread starter macrumors newbie

Try a bump on this one time...any ideas out there? Thx! Mike

3. stimpycat macrumors regular

I found that it was too sensitive for the way I personally hold a mouse and was forever launching exposee whilst doing close-up design work.

I can't see any use of the featire so simple disabled those buttons.

Problem solved.

4. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Yeah I'm having the same issue on mine... well, not literally whenever you move it, but it's very easy to accidentally activate the side buttons.

I do have a wireless one too (don't use it much, it's too unreliable in this house with all its wireless gadgets!) and it's fine. But the wired one I just got with my iMac is *ridiculously* sensitive, and it'll also activate even if you push only one of the side buttons - I'm sure with the wireless model you have to squeeze both.

Guess I'll just turn it off, even though I like the quick access to Exposé.

5. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

Yes I am having the exact same problem.

I returned it to the apple store and they seemed slighty put out that I returned it. Got it back and this one started doing the same thing after a couple of weeks. Disabled the side buttons (although I miss it) and now after a few more days started getting that clicking sound. This is driving me nuts. I like the MM but I'm ready to get another type of mouse cause this sucks.

6. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Ok guys. I picked up myself a wireless Mighty Mouse yesterday from the Apple Store. Set it up and I love it! Everything works great and it isnt sensitive at all. At first, I felt that I had to squeeze it too hard to engage the action. So far I'm really happy with the product. :D

7. drummerjames89 macrumors newbie

same problem

ive gone through the same thing. my replacement mouse is doing the same. however i figured out that i can make my mouse flip out without even touching it. if i place my finger over the front right corner in close proximity i get those clicking sounds.

if thats a problem of being to sensitive, then damn, wrong mouse for me.

in the mean time ive disabled button 4, but now for some reason it is unbelievably hard to left-click. im going to see if i cant just pay the $20 difference and get a wireless one.:mad:

8. kevbo macrumors newbie

Believe it or not - it's an electrical ground issue

For those of you experiencing that light clicking sound / side button activation issue, try touching the metal keyboard, or the metal of the imac case - you will probably find that the clicking goes away.
    I'm on my second mouse from apple which also does this so either I need to find a static resistant pad or add a small ground wire on the mouse somehow.

9. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

Was there ever a real solution to this problem? I have an iMac and MM, and am experiencing this problem.

Button 4 on my mouse was set to "Expose". Every slight movement of the mouse, and expose would be activated. I disabled button 4, but I still hear a clicking inside the mouse every time I touch the mouse.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions, etc... would be very much appreciated. I'm going to contact Apple Care and will post back with their suggestions.

Thanks,
    Gary

10. vishalk16 macrumors newbie

i'm having trouble with my mighty mouse as well..
    i've had my imac for bout 2 years now (intel core duo) and only just lately the mouse has been acting up.
    my problems a bit different tho. button 4 isn't that sensitive however whenever i activate exposé it doesnt work properly (it doesnt let me go to other windows). So i have to switch through windows manually.
    I suggest that if button 4 is giving you problems (and you use it for exposé) then just disable it and use "hot corners" for exposé. Its just as fast.
    for some reason i dont seem to be getting the clicking sound :D

11. JimmyLo macrumors newbie

Grounding Issue

This is a grounding issue. That is why touching the metal base/casing of your mac or metal keyboard will make the clicking stop. Can't believe Apple hasn't addressed this issue.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is not a grounding issue - I'm not sure what it is. I've tried touching the keyboard etc. It doesn't work.

Has anyone solved this or taken it to apple to see what they say? I'm having this problem right now with a 2006 20" iMac. The machine is still under warranty for a few more months. I'd like to know if a part needs replacing. It's not the mouse since I tried another mighty mouse that I know works fine and the same thing happens. I'm guessing it has something to do with the USB ports (I've tried several all with the same result)?

At the moment I'm using an old single button mouse, which works fine but is pretty basic.

13. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

It's just an extremely sensitive button. I've used several, they're all the same.

The wired mouse is just plain rubbish IMO, and has a horrible scrawny little wire that sticks up all the time and generally gets in the way. The wireless one is far better, in terms of the wire (well, duh!), the squeeze button and the general feel of quality.

It's the only part of a new Mac that I would instantly drop in the bin and replace with something better - a shame, as it's usually only PCs that come bundled with cheap crappy mice that you wouldn't want to actually use.