Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
I had great success buying a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) based on advice from this forum, so I'm hoping I can be just as lucky for an older connundrum.

At work I have a printer, pc, and iMac near a single ethernet outlet. Currently the printer is the only one plugged into the ethernet, and many macs around the office connecting via Appletalk.

My goal is to have the printer, pc, and iMac all connected to the internet via the single ethernet connection without disrupting anyone's networked access to the printer.

To my (very limited networking knowledge) mind, I should get a wired router for this (we already have wireless in the office).

Questions:

1) Is a wired router the best way to go (vs. a splitter or something else)?
2) What models would you recommend?

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
discoforce said:
At work I have a printer, pc, and iMac near a single ethernet outlet. Currently the printer is the only one plugged into the ethernet, and many macs around the office connecting via Appletalk.

My goal is to have the printer, pc, and iMac all connected to the internet via the single ethernet connection without disrupting anyone's networked access to the printer.

You need a small hub or a switch. The brand does not matter as these are not configurable (unless you count the power switch) and they all work the same. Get a switch with at least 4 ports. Connect one port to the wall outlet and the others to each device. If you get a larger switch you wil have some free ports for use laster. A switch is acts a little bit like what you call a "spliter"

The other option wouldbe to install wirelass cards inside the computers but the wired connecton willl be faster

Also check that there is not more then one cable already inside the wall. Many times they pull extra and only connect up what is needed.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ChrisA said:
You need a small hub or a switch.

yes, but be careful! there is a big difference b/w a hub and a switch. i actually dont think anyone sells new hubs these days, and if they do they are few and far between. but you want a switch! you can get a little 10/100 4 port switch at most electronics/computer stores for around $30 and even less if you go with the off brands. I know CompUSA has branded some cheap switch and it works well. there should be no configuring needed. just plug it in and it should work.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Whoops, I meant to say switch not splitter. Thanks.

ChrisA said:
Also check that there is not more then one cable already inside the wall. Many times they pull extra and only connect up what is needed.

Yup, there are two ethernet outlets, but only one is on. For them to turn the second one on it's $100 :p

So it sounds like it's between a switch or a router? I've tried to research this a bit, and I really can't find out what the difference is - can anyone enlighten me? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.