wired networking question - must router come before switch?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by posnera, Oct 12, 2011.

1. posnera macrumors regular

I am revising my home network and have a question about the ordering of devices and whether or not it matters.

Currently, I have my comcast modem running into an Airport Extreme. There is also an ethernet switch connected downstream with other devices connected.

The problem is that the modem/router is currently in my home office which has poor wireless distribution to the house. I'd like to move the router to a better location, but I need several ethernet ports in the office.

Here's my question: Can I connect from the modem to the switch, then to the Extreme, or must the router be the first device after the modem?

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

The router needs to be first.

You could use another Airport (Extreme or Express) or Time Capsule to extend your wireless network though.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah I'd get an Express ($70 Apple refurb) and plug it into the switch on the good side of the house. Put it in extended mode and it'll be like a wireless access point, the main router still being what performs NAT functions.

4. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I will run wire from the extreme to the other room and use a switch there to connect to an express (and other wired stuff). Thanks for the info.