Wired or wireless keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Feb 9, 2010.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Due to the way my desk is typing on my laptop is a pain and I need a keyboard solution and the wireless keyboard had my interest. But, I've heard that the wired provides better tactile feedback and etc. Thoughts and opinons from typists?

2. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I just started working with the current aluminum wireless keyboard last week and I love it.

I'm not a 100 wpm typist, but I type reasonably well for a computer geek.

Now if I could just get the drivers to work on my vista install on the company laptop I'd be happy. My problem due to the way they lock the machine down.

I don't find the short throw problematic, and I have no issues with syncing to the desktop.

My typographical errors after years of typing on an MS Comfort Curve are minimal. That's quite surprising to me, although I'm sure an expert on typing might have a differing opinion.

3. etiger13 macrumors member

Is this the one you had: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Com...TF8&s=electronics&qid=1265750227&sr=8-1-spell

Why did you go with the wireless aluminum from apple and not something else like the dinovo edge?

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

so the wireless keyboard DOESNT WORK in bootcamp??????

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I use the wired keyboard, with the number pad. I love it! The wired has my vote.

Habitus :apple:

6. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I'm not running bootcamp. The issues I have are on a work machine running straight up windows with no MACOS on the machine at all.

It's locked down fairly tight, and adding the drivers is a call to our IT support to install them. Otherwise, it would be working.

So as I said, the issues are strictly my problem and not something to do with the keyboard and/or bootcamp.

7. etiger13 macrumors member

John,

I was asking specifically about your MS keyboard because thats the one I have, use and love but when I get my mbp, im thinking a wireless keyboard would be better since it will be my primary home and work machine and having to only connect power would be nice.

how does the apple wireless compare to the MS?

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

How is the feedback when you type? Is it responsive and clicky? Comfortable to type long hours on?

9. John Kotches macrumors 6502

It only took about half a day of typing to get used to the feel of the apple keyboard. The keys fit nicely into my ham hands and that makes quite a bit of difference.

The vertical and horizontal throw work and the short vertical throw keeps my fingers closer to the keyboard.

Today I'm typing on the comfort curve and I forgot how noisy the mechanism is. I don't recall the apple keyboard as being "this loud". I'll figure it out tomorrow more accurately.

The Edge is just too expensive, especially when you're like me and buy them in pairs ;-)

10. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I get enough tactile feedback without too much. It isn't an old-fashioned IBM clicky keyboard, but I don't like that. There's enough to know you've pushed the key but not too much.

I'm not typing on it now as far as "clicky" goes but I don't recall it being too clicky which some keyboards are guilty of.

As for typing long hours, I'm a "professional typist" aka a Unix systems administrator ;-) No problems so far.

11. etiger13 macrumors member

I was just going to ask about the noise since my comfort curve is pretty quiet. other than the spacebar, its the quietest keyboard i have ever had.

The Edge is actually cheaper than the apple wireless if you buy at macmall.com or even amazon now i think

12. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Still more expensive...

MacMall Dinovo Edge prices:
    PC is @ $160 (159.99)
    Mac is @ $78

MacMall Apple Keyboard is $67 ;-)

13. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I'm back to typing on the Apple Keyboard and the action is quieter than the comfort curve, but not much quieter.

However, be warned that I'm a heavy handed typer so YMMV.

14. dionnfr macrumors member

I have both, I use the wireless with MBP and the wire with my desktop. They are both great IMHO.

15. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

Yes, it does, I am typing from it right now.

Tested in Win7 only.
    When you sync bluetooth, do not press next, when your keyboard is found, but right click on it and choose something like Use HCP drivers or something. Also go to device manager, right click on apple bluetooth, and turn off "turn the device off to save energy"

After I installed Bootcamp 3.1 drivers, it stopped working, steps above was the solution.

16. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I vote for the Apple wired Keyboard. Has the same chicklet style keys that I have grown to love from the Macbook lines, but it also has the added benefit of being a FULL keyboard. Number pad ftw! :p

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

no idea why they don't sell a bluetooth one with the numberpad. I need my numberpad lol. Therefore, I'm still using the older model that has bluetooth and a numberpad.

18. etiger13 macrumors member

Seriously. Thats why I bought the wired one, just so i could have the numpad, well that and i dont like the fn button or the miniature arrows on the bt one. well i actually have both. use the bt one at work since they bought it and the wired one at home because i like that one better.

19. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I was just researching this very thing and ended up purchasing the apple wireless keyboard.