Wired or Wireless Peripherals???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tri3limited, Jul 14, 2008.

?

Wired or Wireless

1. Wires are the way to go!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Wireless is the future!

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  3. Get the desk-thingy and let the MightyMouse run free!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get the desk-thingy and all wires!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm planning to buy one of the loverly 24" 3.06GHz iMacs with a Crucial RAM upgrade in the coming weeks and cannot for love nor money decide between the wireless keyboard and mightymouse and the wired ones...

I'm a video and motion graphics editor so i would probably like the numeric pad, for timecodes and the like, but i also hate the clutter of wires and a computer with just a powercable would be really aesthetically pleasing! I currently have a MacBook and a PC so i'm not sure whether the numeric pad is that vital to me. Wireless would impress people and i am fussy about cluttered wires, white or not!

In terms of the mouse in more tempted to go wireless its just the battery issue that annoys me... why not rechargeable like ps3 controllers!! lol. I can probably survive this though.

My other option is the wireless mouse and this loverly layout (hopefully they ship to the UK)
    [​IMG]

Please help me out... I'm so 50/50 it's unreal

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I like not having the clutter of cords...I would just bite the bullet and go wireless

3. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Out of interest what's your battery life like... 5 batteries every 3 months is a lot at £3.99 a pack!!

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Well, truth be told I have a MacBook so I don't have mouse or keyboard wires but my parent's iMac has a corded keyboard with a wireless mouse and it only takes a couple batteries every once in a while so it's not that bad

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I got my keyboard for christmas and haven't changed the batteries on my keyboard, they're at 43% I probably use it 1-2 hours daily.

6. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Im probably going to be going for 6-8 hours a day minimum unless im doing specialfx on my Vista beast (they're gunna have to live together and make friends!).

Im guessing from that every 3 months is reasonable ;D

Thanks alot for all of the replies though... At the moment im tilted 70/30 with the wireless mouse but still 50/50 with the keyboard

7. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Sorry to be off topic, but what is that usb hub/stand in the picture? Anyone have a link to it?

8. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah sure... its a beauty isnt it! Thats why the keyboard could be wired and the mouse wireless or both wired... or both wireless!! lol

See my dilemma! Here the link is btw:
    http://www.macessitywebstore.com/
    Theres loads of different types... the mac mini ones are the coolest but i dont have a mini! ;D

9. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Oooh. I want that stand.

Personally, I prefer a wired keyboard and mouse. Because I've hated every wireless mouse I've ever used. They all feel slightly less responsive than my wired versions.

10. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats my feeling as well, however my previous use of a wireless set involved a usb adapter and was £10 for the keyboard and mouse! One of the worst things ive ever brought... and even though its Apple i still feel as though this is what all wireless is like.

Anyone with wireless have any bootcamp problems with the wireless? I'd probably look to run a small Vista x64 partition for After Effects and Combustion transfers.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Rechargeable batteries are your friend!

(I'm "wired", for what it's worth.)

12. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point!! lol

Im now leaning towards the wireless stuff altho the numeric keyboard could come in handy. Decisions... decisions!

13. martychang macrumors regular

Wires for peripherals are the only way it should be. Wireless internet is fine because long runs of cable might otherwise be necessary to connect all systems/printers to the network, especially if the system isn't always there(i.e. guest laptops) but that's simply not the case with input devices. Unless you're hiding your tower in the closet and have a wireless monitor, I have no idea why you'd pursue something like this. This isn't even counting the fact that I HATE batteries.

14. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats how i feel most of the time especially with 'The Beast' (aka my vista edit suite). Thats even gets wired up to the net with ethernet cables, when i feel it needs some software updates!! Only my MacBook gets the privilege of wireless internet!

Whats the thinking on just the mouse being wireless?

15. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Im planning on purchasing an iMac pretty soon, and i just have to go with the wireless! Ive had a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse for my PC for around 5 years now and its so much more versatile then wired. You have total freedom with your mouse, and because the apple wires are white, i just know they will get dirty over time and not look too nice. (my apple iphone earphones are now a shade of grey:( )