Wired Tether?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by still in school, Jun 21, 2011.

1. still in school macrumors 6502

Is there anyway for me to do a wired tether so I can use my laptop on the go, without letting the carrier know?

2. Phil-82 macrumors member

Not legally of course, but yes it can be done :)

Incase you havent guessed, you need to be jailbroken.

There are a bunch of tethering apps in the cydia store, I think all of which cost money.

The best one however, is called MyWi and does exactly what you need and much more.

Cheers.

If you need help jailbreaking just let me know.

3. still in school thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm aware I need to be jailbroken but if I'm not mistaken, isn't MyWi wireless tethering only? Is there a way for my to do it through USB? Also, If I use MyWi will I still get my incoming calls?

4. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Mywi also does USB tethering.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wired or wireless tethering is available through native or JB.

Without letting carrier know? Impossible.

6. loyalist, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

loyalist macrumors 6502

Quite ironic how this thread isn't attacked or deleted. It's ok to request for advice on how to tether illegally but anything related to Installous or even Pandora Hack is shunned on this forum. Yes I know it's stated in the forum rules but maybe it needs to be revised to forbid any posts about illegal tethering or otherwise...allow such discussions. Seems very hypocritical to me.

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Only took five posts to get to this tired, spent, overused and false argument.
    That just may be some kind of a record.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think there is a difference. Violating copyright law by copying software is actually against the law. You can go to jail for it. Tethering on your AT&T iPhone without paying for a plan is simply a violation of your contract with AT&T. The worst they can do is send you a bill or cancel your contract. That is a huge difference.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

becasue its ok to steal from the rich (carriers) not ok to steal from the poor (app devs)

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You are correct about the difference between violating copyright law and violating of your contract. But carrier can sue you if you don't pay the charges for tethering. Not like they will do it for a small amount of money but it's also illegal.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed and copyright laws are pretty vague when the end user(stealer) is not re-selling the product they stole

maybe not but i would think the punishment would be firmer if your caught selling copywritten material, then downloading it or torrent sites would never exist

12. still in school thread starter macrumors 6502