Wired vs Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imacdaddy, Sep 23, 2007.

1. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Need some help please. :)

I'm use to numeric keys to the right of the keyboard. How are the new wireless keyboards less the numeric keys?

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

tbh i got the wired because i though i used the number pad a lot.
    now that im paying attention i actually use the numbers on top a lot more. wished i wouldhave went wireless

3. katy macrumors member

i feel kinda the same...it would have been good for me because instead of having the number pad i could have used that space to place my graphics tablet...

But then again i kinda like products being wired?

4. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I would say go wired if you play games and wireless if you don’t, although at work I type a lot of 18 digit tracking codes so it makes me feel more at home with a numeric pad on my keyboards

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Wireless looks a lot nicer, but realistically that is the only advantage. Wireless has a long list of disadvantages, particularly batteries and delay.

Although, I honestly wanted a wireless MM just so I could give it a name.

6. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I don't have a wireless keyboard, but I did end up getting a wired keyboard. I would say if you use the numeric keypad a lot or use the arrow key combos (like Command+left arrow, Command+right arrow etc) then the wired is a little nicer. I put aside my old wireless keyboard for a few days and tried programming with my MacBook Keyboard and those two things were the biggest issue I had.

I was really looking forward to the wireless keyboard before it came out and the spy photos of the wired were leaked, but was kind of disappointed when the wireless was a compact keyboard. I really didn't want to go back to a wired keyboard since my current desk setup was wireless keyboard and mouse.

Eventually the wired had more pros and less cons than the wireless.

The big ones being:
    1. I have a full keyboard still, which is nice since I'm used to that with my old wireless keyboard for programming. Numeric pad and full Arrow keys FTW.
    2. Price. $30 is quite a bit more to pay. Especially given the less amount of materials that go in to build the compact keyboard. A bluetooth module can't possibly cost that much...
    3. Time to wait. Isn't it still like 3-4 weeks to wait? I wanted a new keyboard soon, and waiting weeks on end wasn't very appealing.

The main issue i was worried about was having the wire again, but I only really use the keyboard at my desk, and i plug in my 20" ACD anyway, so it's not really more work to do, and I don't move my keyboard so...

After having my wired keyboard for a few weeks now I'm really happy with it.

7. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

go to a apple store and try both? I prefer the wireless. :D

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No Apple Stores have the wireless version yet, any Apple Stores in the US anyway.

9. imacdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Much appreciated. :cool:

I have a Wacom Intuos pen tablet and I use the mouse on the tablet. With my current full size white Apple wireless keyboard, the mouse positioning is a little too far for comfort. I do occasionally use the numeric keypad for Excel work, but can be sacrificed. I can always pick up a USB numeric keypad if I desperately need one.

Are the keys identical in size and spacing to the wired keyboard?

Unfortunately, there's no Apple Store where I live, but only Apple Dealers/Resellers and they don't have the new wireless keyboards yet to try out.

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I recently got the wired version after playing around with my girlfriend's MB. Some of the time I prefer that keyboard to my MBP. I think I am still biased from early experience with wireless keyboards, but I still do not see the point. For me the 10-key was necessary, so it was not much of a decision.

I have not seen the wireless version, but based on the photos, it appears that the wireless one will sit at a much steeper angle on any kind of flat surface, which could also come into consideration for some.

I still use wired connections for everything except internet when I am not at one of my desks, but as computers and entertainment centers continue to move toward each other, I could see myself intereseted in a wireless keyboard like the apple one, but only with an attached pad.