wired/wireless question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AJ795, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. AJ795 macrumors member

    Sep 4, 2004
    Hi All!

    I have just purchased a brand new ibook. Up until now I had been using a PC desktop, and using NTL broadband as my internet supplier (I'm in the UK). Being a few years old my PC doesn't have an ethernet card and so I was using the cable down the USB link.

    With my ibook I also purchased an airport express station so that I could go wireless. My question is this:

    How can I keep my PC connected to the broadband (via USB) as well as connect the broadband to airport (which I've done using the supplied ethernet cable)???

    I can get both working separately but if one is connected and using the cable modem the other one isn't allowed to. Is there any simple way around this so that I can run both at the same time??? And if so, can I do it with the hardware I've got or will I need to buy some other stuff?

    Many thanks,

  2. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I don't think you're going to be able to do it with your current hardware.

    You're going to need a router to sit between the modem and the airport base that can share the signal coming in between the PC and the airport. And you'll need a router that can output to ethernet and USB. The good news is that having a hardware router between your modem and PC will help with your PC security and they're relatively cheap.

    You could return the Airport Express and get a wireless router. Or get the wireless router and keep the Express next to your stereo to use Airtunes.

    Alternatively, get a wireless card for your PC so it can pick up the Express signal.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think getting a wireless PCI card for the PC (assuming you have an open slot, or a USB wireless adaptor) is probably the best option. Again, if you shop around, you can get one of these for $25-30. What you really want is a 802.11g PCI card or USB adaptor that supports the WPA security standard. This should also have the advantage that you can stream iTunes wirelessly from the PC as well as the Mac. :D And if you want to move the PC away from the cablemodem, you're free to do so.

    I just did a search, and this is one example of a cheaply available ($25 shipped) 802.11g card that should work with your airport express: http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...ven=dealm_site&cm_cat=deals1_2005&cm_pla=site
  4. AJ795 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 4, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I've just found a belkin USB adapter which fits the bill perfectly.

    Thanks again for the help.


Share This Page