Wired XP machine keeps losing Airport Extreme connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dagogo, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dagogo macrumors newbie

I have an airport extreme broadcasting to an iMac and Macbook and never loose the wireless signal to these.

I have my upstairs PC running windows XP actually plugged into the extreme...and this is the machine that keeps losing the connection! I don't even know what to check. I'll be browsing and then all of a sudden, no internet...even though the apple machines are still going fine wirelessly. I'll try to repair the connection but that's never helped. I have to reboot the XP machine and then it's back online again.

This never even happened with the 5 year old SMC router I replaced. Any ideas...? :confused:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This happens a lot with the Dells at work. Just tell it not to autonegotiate the connection speed (i.e. set the speed and duplex settings to a fixed value) and you won't drop your link, even though this is probably an indication of bad wiring or a bad NIC.

B

3. dagogo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks B.
    Where would I do this...on the extreme or the XP machine?
    I just looked at the Network connections properties on this XP machine and didn't see any autonegotiate speed or duplex item options.

I'm not ruling out a bad cable, but like I said this started a few days after I swapped out the SMC router for the Extreme, so I figurered there was a correlation.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry! on the XP box.

Each NIC driver hides this in a different place, but it does really help cover a multitude of flakiness.

Hit the Configure button on the Local Area Connection Properties accessed from Network Connections.

At work we've seen a number of boxes that work fine on an adjacent port, but just can't get along with certain ports when in autonegotiate mode...

B

5. dagogo thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks again.
    I made the change....crossing my fingers:)