Wired's WWDC2008 predictions

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by shecky, May 16, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

What to expect from Apple at WWDC

in a nutshell:

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

The touchscreen iPod nano seems way out there. The MacBook and MacBook Pro will get their own event in August with iLife and iWork. The best chance for something would be the second generation iPhone and just maybe the tablet Mac.

3. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

I think we'll only see the next iteration of iPhone. It will mostly be talk about Mac OS X (possibly naming the 10.6), the iPhone SDK, iPhone 2.0 (software) and the iTunes App Store. Generally, Apple don't make more than one product unveiling at WWDC (unless it's software) as it's a conference for developers.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

though i wouldn't be surprised to see a redesign of the MacBook Pro i don't think the author realized that the Mac Pro still resembles the PowerMac G5 and even the MacBook still resembles the G4 iBook - they've changed the casing, screen size and keyboard. but it still basically looks like a white (or black) plastic notebook.

the MacBook Air is a totally new product so i think it made sense to have a different design from the rest of the line. they may change the MacBook Pros keyboard to the chicklet design - but i doubt you'll see the black + aluminum casing of the iMac on it. the MacBook Pro (like the iBook, MacBook & PowerBook) are very recognizable and as SJ said in an interview after unveiling the MacBook Pro 'why change the design? its perfect right now'

5. TechGirl macrumors newbie

Anyone know how accurate Wired has been in the past on WWDC or similar predictions?

6. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Touch devices only - anything else will just get lost in the hysteria.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Touch Nano? Never at WWDC. Apple will save that for the next iPod refresh probably in September, or maybe the same time next year.

8. TechGirl macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to doubt whether there will be anything at WWDC other than the iPhone. Blah. I was really hoping for a macbook pro update. I'm not sure I can wait until August/September for Montevina.

9. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Nano at WWDC? Unlikely, maybe 0.5/10.

They'll wait until the traditional Sept. update to add a touchscreen.

My predictions are:
    3G iPhone 10/10
    New MBP 8/10
    Refreshed MB Air 5/10 (refreshed with proper penryn SFF SL9x00 processors and Montevina platform, slightly better battery life, otherwise the same)
    New MB 5/10
    Internet Tablet 0/10