Wireles acces for iod touch is all I want

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rpaloalto, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Well we just ordered our new mac pro and of course I chose to get the free ipod touch. After a day or two, I realized how much I will be missing with out with not having wifi, for the ipod touch. We do have dsl, but no wireless computers in our home.
    What would be the cheapest way to add a wireless router for my ipod touch.
    I was looking at the airport extreme but after some research. I have discovered that it looks like I can't configure the airport with out a airport card.
    I just want to be able to fool around with my ipod touch my son and I both have a sony psp which also could benefit from a wireless connection.
    I'm also not to much concerned with security as Im would most likely would turn off any wireless router when not in use by my ipod or psp.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you get an airport card for your Mac Pro then you can create a network from your computer.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

those can be limited at times depending on ISP since some frown on the internet sharing.

the cheapest way would be finding a cheap and reliable wireless router that is compatible with all the devices you want to use it with and just add it to your existing network.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get an Airport Extreme/Express and you can configure it via Ethernet.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i used a wireless linksys router, it was pretty muhc plug in and play, it goes modem to wireless router to computer and I've used it with a psp, my iphone ipod touch, and friends laptops works flawlessly... i think i paid 100 bucks for it at best buy, best 100 bucks ever spent

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I do this, and it works well. The only catch is you need to keep your computer awake all day.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

If you're going to spend the $100 go for the express.
    If it is hard-wired to your network, the mac pro will be able to see it for configuration with no problems.
    Most of the time when I'm setting mine up (after moving, or visiting somewhere) i have to plug in to get configured anyway.

Plus you add the ability to have a printer and remote speakers for iTunes connected to it. it is nice to be able to listen to music, and not get deafened by the new mail sound.

for a few more $$ if you want to add storage but loose the remote iTunes speakers go for the extreme or Time capsule. But this would probably be overkill for just one "full-sized" computer.

8. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

But the problem is that I did not request the mac pro to be configured with the airport card. I called apple today to change the order and they said it's to late.

I would just buy the airport extreme but I would also have to buy a $50 airport card for the pro. Apparently in order to even configure the airport you have to log into it wirelessly with the airport setup assistant.
    It looks like most non apple wireless routers will let or even require you to set it up through the actual ethernet wire (hard wired).

I'm very disappointed that it looks like I'll have to pass on another apple product. As I cant bring myself to spend over 200 dollars just to get wifi for my ipod touch.

Can any one recommend a good wireless router That would let me set it up by using my non wireless mac pro just using the ethernet port with my browser.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you misunderstand what I'm talking about. There would be no way for the ISP to know that he's using an airport card.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

linksys makes good routers. affordable too, you dont need the 'draft N' stuff, just wireless b/g and you'll be good to go. and the mac pro can't take the standard airport extreme card either, it needs to be attached to the board somehow so you couldn't do it on your own probably in any event. go for the linksys. should be fairly easy to get up and running.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, several routers have been mentioned above but I will throw my vote in for one that I know works quite well with all wireless devices (including my iPod Touch) and has a great signal strength- a Netgear 824. Not the cheapest one out there @ approximately $69 but one that works VERY well and is quite simple to set up. And yes, it is hardwired to your computer via a provided ethernet cable. They have it almost everywhere (Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, etc) and it often appears on sale. You can check out more about it at newegg.com- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150015

And like was mentioned above, don't worry about the draft n routers- you only need b/g for full speed communications with the iPod Touch.

12. ihabime macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where you did your research, but as has already been stated in this thread, you don't need an airport card in your Mac to configure either the Airport Express or the Airport Extreme, you can do it through the ethernet port just like most other routers. From what you've said about your usage you should probably go with the Express or a cheap linksys g router. either way it will be less than 100$