Wireless - 5GHz & MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IBrown, Nov 8, 2010.

1. IBrown macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need to buy a new wireless router. I've got cable internet access so I don't need an ADSL modem, I'm based in the UK.

I bought a TP Link WR1043ND earlier this year but it kept dropping the signal - oh and every time I turned it off it lost the settings for the attached usb drive.

I'm now thinking about buying the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, but I'm also considering buying something dual-band instead in case the TP Link's problem was interference from other devices.

I've not found anything that tells me whether the airport card inside my mbp - new in March 2010, 17" model - will connect to a 5Ghz signal. There's not much point in me spending the extra cash for a dual band router if the MBP can only connect to 2.4Ghz!

Does anybody know the answer?

Basically, I want something fast, secure and with a USB port so that I can stick a drive on for on-site backup. I'm not really keen on paying the extra for the Airport extreme kit, nice though it looks.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will.

3. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

All modern Macs are dual band (my 2008 iMac uses 5Ghz just fine).

4. filfortugno macrumors regular

yep

the mbp will connect to it and it will be very fast. I've got the dual band airport extreme and it hasnt failed me once and is very fast

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n ... "a" meaning 54Mbps and 300Mbps on the 5GHz band. b/g/n are on the 2.4GHz band.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, 802.11a is on the 5 GHz band only, 802.11n comes in two flavors; one on the 2.4 GHz band and the other on the 5 GHz band.

7. gitarzysta macrumors newbie

If your MBP is 2010 model then for sure it supports 2.4 and 5 GHz modes, as all Macs from approx. 2007 do.

Look here:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...book-pro-airport-support-80211a-no-modem.html

and here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1934376

The second link indicates (and I confirm) macbooks do operate in 5GHz mode but if your base station is from US and Mac from Europe/Japan/Some other countries (or vice versa) you may need to set channels manually.
    5GHz channel numbers are not equal in all countries, and your router may choose a channel your airport doesn't support. Choose your channel manually and you're good to go.
    This article shows what I'm talking about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.29

Gitarzysta

8. izibo macrumors 6502

Dual-band Linksys E3000. You can put the dd-wrt firmware on it. I have it, use the 2.4Ghz band for all the other peripherals (printers, game consoles, phones) and the 5Ghz band for laptops and the internet connected TV. Rock solid.

9. IBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys - I'll let you know what I get and how it goes.