Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njtransit215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Where I live, my room is on the 2nd floor of the house, and the wireless router is on the first floor on the opposite side, separated by a whole lot of walls and maybe 50 feet, probably less. We've always had problems with one router reaching my room, so my current setup now is a powerline adapter to a room across from mine that has the best connection to the modem, and then place a 2nd router up here, but recently, that connection has been extremely flaky, and would like to cut down to one router. I was wondering if upgrading to an 802.11ac router and a matching adapter may solve this problem I've been having. Also, anyone have any tips on the best 802.11ac router/adapter for both Mac/PC?

Thanks a lot for your help!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
802.11ac is fast, but very short range. With beam forming you'll get better performance than you otherwise might, but N is still probably your best bet for max range on a single router.

How about using an Airport Express midway between you & the primary router as a wireless extender?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.