Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
I need to buy an access point but do not know which one. It needs to be easy to set up, have MAC address filtering and be easy to set up. Also it needs good range.

Thanks alot

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Personally I've never had a problem with a Netgear product and hate Linksys products. There will be people who argue the contrary.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
yellow said:
Personally I've never had a problem with a Netgear product and hate Linksys products. There will be people who argue the contrary.

I've never had anything but a Linksys product and I'm never had anything but a problem.

Netgear sells a WAP for around $60.00 and I've seen it for sale on Amazon.com. If not that, then AirPort Express, refurbished for $99.00.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
bousozoku said:
I've never had anything but a Linksys product and I'm never had anything but a problem.

Netgear sells a WAP for around $60.00 and I've seen it for sale on Amazon.com. If not that, then AirPort Express, refurbished for $99.00.
In my main home I use a Cisco aironet and use an AE for airtunes. I am not sure what the range is for the AE though. Is Netgear good?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
lexus said:
In my main home I use a Cisco aironet and use an AE for airtunes. I am not sure what the range is for the AE though. Is Netgear good?

Netgear is my choice for any new equipment. Most everything I've seen says that it works well. I won't waste more money on Linksys.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
lexus said:
Any netgear models in mind and any takes on the airport express?

Thanks

Netgear WG602 available here.

AirPort Express is good, especially at the refurbished price, but it's a bit of overkill for some. If you want a USB printer port or AirTunes specifically, then it's a good deal.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
lexus said:
I have used the predecessor the WAP54G and its very unreliable. So may be something else.
The WAP54G is not the predecessor. The predecessor would be the BEFW11S4 802.11b router. The WAP54G is just a cut-rate (via firmware) WRT54G that only functions as an access point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.