Wireless adapter solutions for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I've been having issues getting my MBP online on certain routers (NetGear in particular). I was told by a Apple rep that this is a known problem with no solution. As such, my only option is to get an external wireless adapter. I've been hunting around for a ExpressCard/34 adapter as I don't use mine, but haven't had much luck. I've only found a ., but cannot tell if it will work on a MBP. My only other option would be a USB Adapter, but again I can't seem to find one with OSX compatability. The closest I have found is this, but it only works with 10.5.x. Anyone know of any adapters (EXpressCard or USB) that would work, preferably on the cheap?

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Hmm that's strange. If this is true, I'd rather get a new router than an external wireless adapter so you don't need to use an addon card.

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I know it would be better to buy a new router, but I have this problem when I am out using random hotspots (coffee shop, library, etc.). Its getting to be such an annoyance that I just bring my Thinkpad with me when I go out just to avoid the annoyance of not being able to connect or "losing" the signal and getting disconnected.

4. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Bumping as I really need help with this. I'm having trouble finding USB wireless adapters what work with 10.6

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

You might be blazing a trail. I think I have the same MBP and have yet to come across a wireless network I couldn't join, even with all my travels.

I'd revisit this with Apple.

6. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

:( That is the issue. An Apple rep said this "happens from time to time" (paraphrase). The closest "real" Apple store is 30+ minutes away, so its a bit hard to get to. I should probably just go as my AppleCare expires soon, even though I don't think its the wireless card.

7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I shopped for a USB adapter for a project G3 a few years ago and remember that the Mac community didn't seem well-served AT ALL when it comes to these peripherals. There were hacks and homebrews going on out there, but I wasn't interested in fiddling with that on a trial-and-error basis.

I finally found a D-Link 802.11G unit that worked, and even then there was no mention of Mac on the packaging - I had to go download the drivers from the D-Link website.

Granted, this was for 10.4.11, but I wouldn't be surprised if things are still similar now. My suggestion would be to go scour the manufacturers' websites and see if you can pin down a 10.6.x driver. They may have it (Zyxel included) and just not advertise it.

That is, if you can't get Apple to fix what is normally touted as a pretty decent wireless setup to begin with. ;) Good luck.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Here you go, works on mac per the site.

Link

Even on sale too.

9. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Might have found something

I might have found something. Randomly stumbled upon a cNET article about TrendNET going Mac Friendly. Seems TrendNET has been putting out OS X drivers for a number of there USB wireless adapters. They are not advertised as such, but if you go to their download page, you can find them easily. I'm going to do a bit more research on this and post what I find. From what I can tell, most of the N adapters are $30+.

10. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

OS X compatible TRENDnet wireless adapters

Well these are the TRENDnet adapters that have OS X drivers. Unless otherwise listed, N is draft 2.0. Prices are from NewEgg
    1. TEW-649UB ("True" N; 34.99)
    2. TEW-648UB (24.78)
    3. TEW-648UBM (29.99)
    4. TEW-644UB (34.99)
    5. TEW-624UB (Version B1.xR; 49.99)
    6. TEW-664UB (41.24)

I actually found the TEW-649UB at MicroCenter going for $25 after rebate. If the Geniuses can't give me a straight answer or solution, I think I'll be picking this up. Not sure anyone will care, but if I get it, I'll post how it all works out.