Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Me and my 7 flat mates are all moving into a 3 story house and we need wireless internet for our laptops, ps3's etc. There is already is a router there but apparently it might not be up 2 the job. I was wondering if anyone knew which would be the best buy for my needs. The house isnt very large but tall. Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if i missed out any needed info.

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
You can attempt putting the wireless router on the middle floor and check signal strength throughout the house. You may have to go to a more robust router solution with antennas on each floor, depending on building construction

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
thanks for the advice I will try this. I was just wondering if there are any brands to look into or stay away from etc

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
well for a start you would definitely need a wireless 'N' router with that amount of computers and equipment, more range and way more speed.
Also check your ISP internet speed as this will need to be a good amount like 8mb maybe? could do with 4mb probably.
and as said earlier you may need additional access points depending on the buildings construction

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
well for a start you would definitely need a wireless 'N' router with that amount of computers and equipment, more range and way more speed.

I agree with the 802.11N - especially for the extended range if your computers can use it. You might also consider a router that will accept an external antenna, to help maximize your range...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I think the ultimate setup for you would be an AEBS 802.11a/b/g/n and have it in the middle story of the house (2nd floor). Stray away AirLink, TrendNet brands. They are noobish brands and quality is low. Try Linksys, Apple, Netgear, Belkin. Maybe not Belkin, but you get the idea.

If you go Apple network hardware, extending it s very simple, with an AirPort Express. Just plug it in the nearest wall socket of the spot that has slower signal, and have it use bridge mode connecting to the base station.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks very much. Im thinking of going down the apple extreme route to start with as I've heard good things about it. I am however confused over the airport express. Can I just use one of these instead or do they not work alone? I just didnt really get much from the description of the express and its use.

Cheers

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
The express has only one ethernet port (for the connection to the Internet). All computers have to connect wirelessly. It also has audio outputs for streaming audio from iTunes. The USB port can be used for printer sharing, but NOT for an external drive.

An extreme has a built in four port ethernet switch that can be used to connect to computers using ethernet. The USB port can be used for printer sharing, or for attaching an external hard drive for use on the network (and for Time Machine backups).

For a purely wireless network (ie no wired computers), either will work well. If you have wired computers, or want to hang a hard drive off the network, go for the extreme...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The AirPort Express is a slimmed down version of the AEBS. No wireless HD sharing, and just one ethernet port. If you only use the AirPort Express (AE for short), then that single ethernet is taken up by the modem, but if you use WDS mode or bridge mode, then a single computer can use that ethernet. it has one usb for sharing a printer and an optical/analog audio out, to play itunes on remote speakers. It's more like an apartment, as compared to a house. you can still live in it, but lacks some features like yard, smaller space, etc..

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Right thanks guys, I think I may head for the express then as all computers will be connected wirelessly. Thanks

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
I just purchased an airport extreme base station and i love it, great range (not 100m but it certainly gets to 50) usb ports :)eek: of course), if it doesn't cover the whole range extend it with an airport express this way you can use two printers on different locations and maybe stream some music.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
the express is good enough for me, my dad, and my mom, all using wireless g. that's why i bought the $10 less airport express g at my local electronics store. don't know why they stil have the g aes, but anyway, if you want more raw power and future expanding, go AEBS, but if you want something simple, go express.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
If my flat mates got a different type of N wireless system could I still connect an express unit in bridge so that I can use the ethernet for my xbox 360 because it seems more cost effective than buying a 360 wireless reciever.

thanks

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
If you are going to use an xbox 360 you would want to do what I setup. I got the extreme base station and an express. You would then plug the express into a socket by the xbox 360 and then hard wire the 360 to the express with a network cable. You will then need to set up a WDS network which is fairly simple. Note that when you are setting up WDS you need to set up the express wired to your laptop and not try it wireless. I messed around for 30 minutes before I figured that out. Don't mess around spending $100 USD or whatever the cost in pounds is to get an xbox wireless adapter when the express is much more versatile.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
if there is already a router in the house i would recommend picking up an express and using it to "extend wireless".
this way you can boost the wireless signal across the house (place the express somewhere near the weak signals).

i have an express in my room and it boosts my signal from my AEBS pretty well around the house. the AEBS is in the basement and the AE is on the 2nd floor.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks for the help. While the express is extending the network, is the ethernet port free for me to plug say my 360 or something in it? Agreed that the 360 wireless is way too expensive tho:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.