Wireless AirDisk Backup Already Supported in Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stovetop6872, Feb 2, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Well, today is my second day with my new MacBook Pro. Yesterday, I forgot to reinstall the operating system like I was going to to get rid of extra junk like languages I didn't need. So, today I did a Time Machine Backup of my internal hard-drive. It did a full backup flawlessly, as expected. After, I reinstalled the OS and was greeted with Setup Assistant. I chose the "Import Files and Settings from Time Machine Backup" option. Then it said, "If your Time Machine Backup is connected via AirPort Extreme, click join at the bottom to connect to your network to access your disk. I didn't think that wireless backups were supported yet. Is this normal?? Or is this just to restore the Time Machine Backup Files and not use it as the hourly backup. Does anyone have an answer? I hope in 10.5.2, they have a "real" solution for wireless backups. Please tell me if I am just missing something really obvious here or if this is something new. Thanks a lot! :apple:

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Isn't that what the Time Capsule is? A wireless backup hard drive?

3. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

It looks like it will allow you to restore wirelessly, but not back up.

4. Area51Tazz macrumors member

Actually, and I've tested this, you can back up to a network drive wirelessly without a time capsule. Just go into your terminal and type this exactly as shown:

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I've seen this around, with mixed results. By typing this in, does that mean that I could unplug my Time Machine drive from my computer, move it to my Airport Extreme Base Station, and resume backups as usual?

6. macit macrumors member

macit

It almost worked for me. At least it showed our NAS volume for the first time. I'm no programmer but it seems like something that Apple will eventually 'fix.' AirDisk was the whole reason I went out and bought a 500gb NAS drive months before :apple:Leopard:apple: was released: to back up on it using AirDisk. I really hope to see this patched so I can put that NAS to real use!

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Odd....If that is true, I guess that could hint towards Apple's eventual patching of AEBS for time machine support. It would be great if you could of gotten a picture as well.