wireless aluminum keyboard connectivity - line of sight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rowen2007, Dec 10, 2007.

1. rowen2007 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just joined to ask a question regarding the new aluminum wireless keyboard. I've been having issues with connectivity; at first it was just an annoyance but after rearranging my desk, I noticed that I can't maintain a connection without direct line of sight from the keyboard to my macbook pro.

My macbook pro is placed to my immediate left, and I have cables running to an external monitor; I was hoping to use the wireless keyboard as the external keyboard.

First off, can anyone else reproduce this issue? Does your wireless keyboard maintain connectivity, etc. fine if you turn around and start typing away from your machine?

Second, is it a common occurrence to have the Connection Lost displayed on the keyboard regularly when not in use for a few minutes?

Thanks!

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Mine works all around my computer. Bluetooth is omni-directional. Sounds like you might have a defective piece of hardware.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, I have not had any problems with my wireless keyboard and new iMac. I will note however, that there isn't really anything on my desk but the iMac, keyboard and mouse.

Could it be an interference thing? I haven't know BT to be exposed to that though....

4. splashtech macrumors regular

Bluetooth operates in the same 2.4GHz frequency range as wifi and some cordless phones. It is susceptible to the same interference as wifi signals.

5. rowen2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store and ended up getting a new keyboard. So far, so good. I probably should have tried earlier but I was stubborn in trying to make the old one work. We'll see how it goes! Thanks everyone!