Wireless and Hard Drive Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reeshenator, Jul 29, 2008.

1. reeshenator macrumors newbie

I'm about to go off to college, and I want to get all my computer stuff ready to go. Here's what I'm thinking: I will plug the ethernet in my dorm into an old airport express my friend gave me, I will plug my printer and external hard drive via usb into the airport. That way I'll have wireless internet and printing in and around my dorm as well as a way to use time capsule wirelessly. Would all that even work? Any hard drive suggestions? I was thinking a 500gb should do. Maybe this one: http://shop3.frys.com/product/5530040?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have a $100 fry's gift card so I'd like to get it there.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The USB on an Airport Express can only be used for wireless printing. The new Airport Extreme supports AirDisk to wirelessly connect an external USB drive.

I got a WD external several months ago and am very happy with it.

Time Capsule is an airport (router) + built in hard drive. Time Machine is the app in Leopard that lets you back up files.

I used to plug in my PowerBook from time to time and run Time Machine. I had dropped my PowerBook and it can't keep a good charge now, so I only use it on my desk and keep the external plugged in and Time Machine backing up all the time.

3. joe16 macrumors newbie

joe16

First of all, check with your campus to see if you can even use Airport in your dorm. I know that my college only allows an internet connection to be "wired" to your computer (they say this prevents you from sharing the internet connection with guests in your room).

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes that will work! But how old is the Airport Extreme? TM only supports 802.11n as an AirDisk!

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Yeah, it's a shame that the Express can't do wireless Time Machine. Just leave your external on the desk and plug it in from time to time, it will work out just fine.

6. reeshenator thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, I guess I'll just get a hard drive and plug it in. You're probably right about wireless not being allowed. It sure would be nice though. Thanks for all your help!