Wireless and internet sharing issue + Wireless router suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iVoid, Aug 29, 2010.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

Okay, here's my setup:

Apple Airport Extreme hooked up to cable internet.

Mac Mini hooked up to the Airport via wireless (n) (It's because of the locations of the cable and the mac) 10.6.4

I've got to get a wireless signal to another part of my house where the signal from the airport network is week and intermittent.

I've got an old pair of Bufflao wireless routers setup as a bridge and they work to get the signal back to the Mini.

I use the Internet sharing on the MAc to allow the remote wireless clients to get to the internet through the Mac mini.

The problem is that the internet sharing connection stops working after 30-60 minutes. The solution is to either torn off the wireless card on the client and turn it back on or to toggle the internet sharing setting on the mac. Then it works for 30-60 more minutes before we have to repeat this.

There were some threads here on this happening with internet sharing, but never seemed to be a solution listed.

It's not currently practical to hook the buffalo wireless router or mac mini directly to the airport and I'm pretty sure these old buffalo routers won't bridge with the airport (or will they?).

Without any additional hardware, is there any solution?

2. iVoid thread starter macrumors 65816

On the same topic, if I do want to extend the current network do I have to get an Apple Airport (will express work?) or will some of the 3rd party wireless routers work?

Or is there a known wireless repeater that works?

Thanks.