Wireless Apple Keyboard killing my batteries

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VesicpP, Jan 10, 2012.

1. VesicpP macrumors newbie

I've got a wireless apple keyboard, about 6 months old and it is killing batteries.

I use it for my HTPC with a mac mini, so it get used no more than a couple hours a day of actually being connected to an "awake" mac mini.

The mac is asleep when not in use (90% of the day) and the batteries are quality batteries. I've tried PowerEx and now using brand new Eneloops. The firmware on the keyboard has been completed and is up to date.

Batteries die after about 7-10 days.

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you sure you're putting the batteries in facing the proper direction?

3. VesicpP thread starter macrumors newbie

100%

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The symptoms are exactly like those that happen when the batteries are put in backwards. I get 4-6 months out of batteries on mine, but when I first got it and put the batteries in backwards (without my glasses) they died in a week. If you're sure, it sounds like the keyboard is defective. Have Apple check it out.

5. VesicpP thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks

6. Fastball32 macrumors member

What model of Apple Bluetooth Keyboard do you have?
    If it is the original Aluminum 3 AA Battery type, then they were known to die quickly. Check for firmware updates, because Apple fixed this issue.

If it is the Aluminum 2 AA Battery type, then I'm not sure what is going on.

7. VesicpP thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's the 2 AA one, the new one. Very strange. My wife's keyboard works great. It's just this one..

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I get 4-6 months on a set of batteries and I have the one that takes 3.

9. jwm2 macrumors regular

I just had the same problem with the batteries that were installed from the factory. I assume they were in the right way. I just put fresh ones in so we'll see.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The best batteries to use, and I have tried them all are Sanyo Eneloops. These are rechargeable and give me up to 5 months use before swap out.

Google them...Should be about £12 UK for 8. As GGJ posted make sure you have the batteries the right way around. They both face in the same direction.