Wireless Apple Keyboard killing my batteries

VesicpP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I've got a wireless apple keyboard, about 6 months old and it is killing batteries.

I use it for my HTPC with a mac mini, so it get used no more than a couple hours a day of actually being connected to an "awake" mac mini.

The mac is asleep when not in use (90% of the day) and the batteries are quality batteries. I've tried PowerEx and now using brand new Eneloops. The firmware on the keyboard has been completed and is up to date.

Batteries die after about 7-10 days.

Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The symptoms are exactly like those that happen when the batteries are put in backwards. I get 4-6 months out of batteries on mine, but when I first got it and put the batteries in backwards (without my glasses) they died in a week. If you're sure, it sounds like the keyboard is defective. Have Apple check it out.

Fastball32

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
What model of Apple Bluetooth Keyboard do you have?
If it is the original Aluminum 3 AA Battery type, then they were known to die quickly. Check for firmware updates, because Apple fixed this issue.

If it is the Aluminum 2 AA Battery type, then I'm not sure what is going on.

VesicpP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah it's the 2 AA one, the new one. Very strange. My wife's keyboard works great. It's just this one..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What model of Apple Bluetooth Keyboard do you have?
If it is the original Aluminum 3 AA Battery type, then they were known to die quickly.
I get 4-6 months on a set of batteries and I have the one that takes 3.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I just had the same problem with the batteries that were installed from the factory. I assume they were in the right way. I just put fresh ones in so we'll see.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The best batteries to use, and I have tried them all are Sanyo Eneloops. These are rechargeable and give me up to 5 months use before swap out.

Google them...Should be about £12 UK for 8. As GGJ posted make sure you have the batteries the right way around. They both face in the same direction.